• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Interfacing Nuvi 350 w/Yaesu for APRS

KB8ZVJ

Dec 15, 2009
OK, here is what is going on.

I read that the Nuvi 350 was the "bomb" for APRS applications.
Full text messaging and all that.

So I go ahead get the Nuvi, will get the Kenwood D710a and the special interface cable when I save up some cash. (BTW, the Nuvi is getting great use as a car navigator since my job takes me all over the place)

Now I read about the VX8R and FTM 350, I think I might prefer either one of those over the Kenwood. I fell in love with the programming software for the Yaesu. Remember, I got the Nuvi for text messaging, not going to be a fan of the current input methods for the Yaesu's/D710.

With that all being said, is there a way to interface the Nuvi into the Yaesu's?
It would be nice not having to purchase the Yaesu GPS.

Any and all input would be appreciated. Thanks for your help.

You should be able to get the GPS functions working, but you're going to have to fabricate some type of cable interface on your own. I have serious doubts that you will be able to interface the text messaging part, though. If your whole goal was to use the texting capabilities of the nuvi, you're probably out of luck.

You should be able to get the GPS functions working, but you're going to have to fabricate some type of cable interface on your own. I have serious doubts that you will be able to interface the text messaging part, though. If your whole goal was to use the texting capabilities of the nuvi, you're probably out of luck.

Anyone verify that the agrent/kenwood cable and nuvi-350 will work on the VX-8GR

Thanks

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.