• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

interference from a local business

camaro1

Nov 2, 2012
wisconsin
ever since I got my set up going here I noticed a pulse noise every 6-8 sec, on ch 17,18,19. never thought much of it and don't use those freq, but lately the noise has gotten worse and spreads out now all over the band, even above 40. did some tracking in the car and found the source of the signal about a mile down the road from me,, must be one of there machines, and when its in use you can here this interference pulse noise up to 8 miles away in my mobile. I noted some of the times when I noticed it would go away for 15 minutes here and there.

I sent the company an e-mail just asking if it could be one of there machines, and they did respond to my e-mail, here is there response:

We do have a license for 27.12 on our machine. I am waiting for a meter to measure what deflection we may have.

I guess I never heard of a lic for a machine to make interference, I emailed back and said that would be fine but the signal is going much lower and higher than just 27.12mhz and at a range up to 8 miles from your shop.

waiting to see what they come up with, or if they are just giving me a line of bs

here is there website, the are into a variety of things if you look under products and services:

http://www.odcinc.com/home.cfm

the rfi signal they are putting out is loud,,, 5-8 miles depending on the direction,, some people have a hard time transmitting 8 miles in there mobile set up with a radio and antenna and this is just a machine putting out a signal that far!,,lol

Last edited:
From their website:
ODC’s state of the art RF welding and die cutting equipment can create a wide variety of vinyl products.

Sounds like they may have either a diathermy machine or possibly an induction heater as opposed to a welder. Vinyl does not get welded but rather fused with heat. 27.120 MHz is the center of one of the Industrial/Scientific/Industrial (ISM) bands.

ISM band - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

In any event it should not radiate that far. If you get nowhere with the company contact the FCC.

Reactions: 1 person
Some of the older Plasma cutters are noisy when it comes to RF.
I used to run a couple at work and when I left the radio on in the truck you can hear it as soon as it fires up.
And they run in 27 MHz range as well.....
C/K is correct, I would At least try to talk to someone at the shop and see if they are willing to spend a few min to isolate the machine making the racket.
If it is interfering with Coms 8 miles away, something is wrong with the machine.

Jeff

More Info

One of the most used configurations is the radio-frequency (RF) discharge between two
plane electrodes. In this configuration, the plasma is capacitively coupled and the power
supply interacts with the plasma almost exclusively by displacement current [3]. The
advantage is that we can use the plasma even with electrodes covered by an insulating
material.
The frequency range is from a few kHz to 200 MHz but the usual frequency used for RF
discharge plasma is 13.56 MHz. This frequency was initially chosen by the international
telecommunications authorities as a free frequency which was not used by civilians or
the military. This is now a standard frequency for which we can easily find commercial
generators and matching box. More and more industry is interested by higher process
frequencies like 27.13 MHz, 40.68 MHz (2nd and 3rd harmonics of 13.56 MHz). At these
higher frequencies, the layer quality seems better (cf. chapter 6).

Jeff

I was very surprised to even get an e-mail back from them,, and that they knew they had a machine that used 27.12 MHz,, just waiting it out for a while and see if they get back to me again, hopefully they will do a little digging and see whats up, this pulse noise it getting old fast can here it from 26.7 to 27.8

I was very surprised to even get an e-mail back from them,, and that they knew they had a machine that used 27.12 MHz,, just waiting it out for a while and see if they get back to me again, hopefully they will do a little digging and see whats up, this pulse noise it getting old fast can here it from 26.7 to 27.8

why bother to wait? it's obvious that they really don't care about you or any harmful interference they are causing to you or others.

complain to the FCC in writing. this will be handled with a routine NAL being issued to them and an order for them to "cease and desist".

NAL's are issued routinely, just look at the FCC web site. Enforcement Bureau - 2013 Orders

just because it is on 27MHz doesn't mean you have to put up with it.;)

I was just going to give them a little time to see what was going on,, they said "We do have a license for 27.12 on our machine. I am waiting for a meter to measure what deflection we may have"

I'm just guessing here, but that response seems like it came from an engineer that works there. If they had no intention of investigating your complaint, it would probably be ignored or denied (ie: not our stuff).

camaro1, waiting does seem a decent course of action. I would give it a week and send a followup email. No need to involve the FCC until its absolutely necessary.

Reactions: 3 people
I agree with waiting a short time to see how the company handles it. Even the FCC prefers this method. I see no proof they are unwilling to do anything about it. Just because they knew they had a machine operating on 27.120 MHz doesn't mean anything. They had a license for it. Almost all cases of RFI are never dealt with until they are reported because the RFI is not know to be happening by the person causing it. I don't know if I am interfering with my neighbors TV unless he tells me. If he chooses to go a year and not tell me that is his problem however AFTER he tells me it becomes MY problem. Everyone deserves a reasonable amount of time to correct the issue. If that time expires then notify the FCC.

Reactions: 4 people
i'll tell you right now I work in a shop, and stuff like this is low priority unless they get a order from the FCC they will not do any thing.. But that said I would let them know a few times to get the fire going.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.