• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Interference

cooldude546

Aug 27, 2006
Upstate NY
Im a newb and i have a Radioshack TRC-501 and every time i use it in the car i get real bad interference I'm looking for tips on how to avoid this kind of thing. It works fine when the car is off but when its on i get nasty interference. Thanks

It's likely ignition and fuel pump noise. For starters, you can install a noise filter on the power line feeding the radio. Radio shack sells them. It may have some success, or it may not. After that, it's a matter of hunting down the culprit and filtering or bypassing it to eliminate the noise, which is no easy task. Another easier way to do it is to buy a DSP filter, which will filter most of the noise out without all the headache. They're a little pricey, though.

The 501 really isn't that much of a radio )-: I'd be very surprised if the noise was coming through your power line , in most cases , it's just not that easy )-: more so then not it comes from the antenna , you can do a test with your car running and your radio on , unscrew the coax from your antenna to the radio , noise goes away ? then you know where it's coming from , you can do a lot of things as Mole dude suggested , but i really don't think that 501 has very good rejection what so ever ......if it were me , I'd just kick it up a notch and get a slightly better radio with better noise blankers and anl's in them such as a cobra 25 or 29 , they really do knock out most of the serious engine noise that goes through the antennas and it is a lot easier then trying to sniff out the problems from the sourses. Good luck to you and welcome to the forum.

Thanks guys, I got the radio at an auction for $1 so I wasn't really expecting a great rig just something to play around with,i didn't really put much money into it so ill just try to play around and fix it. Thanks again

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.