• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Intro and plea for future help....

MedicineMan

Mar 8, 2009
Roan Mountain,TN
I say future help because I haven't received the HT (vx-8r) yet.
I'm the type of Ham who has several radios and knows really little about any of them. I got into ham because I spend a lot of time hiking/backpacking or living out of a sea kayak (if bored surf here: Webshots - Photo Sharing, Free Wallpaper and Free Screensavers in the search field type in Ripshinpaddler; to give an idea of my use for a ham radio).
It was my hope that in the event of a crisis while in the woods/on the water a ham radio would increase the chances of getting help.
I usually hike on the Appalachian Trail and have been doing so for 35 years....on 19 of 23 I've had successful contacts....how I did it I don't know.
Oh, when I passed it was technician +, I don't think that exists anymore.
So why the vx-8r? Well its back to getting help with me thinking that with the integral GPS I can tell the rescue party exactly where to look.
I'm completely clueless to APRS so far and just started reading....and I'm smitten by the ability of some to send text messages via the vx-8r....can you do this to someones cell phone? e-mail account?
OK enough for now. I'll be mostly lurking and thank all here now for the vast array of knowledge.
Sincerely,
Robert

can you do this to someones cell phone? e-mail account?

There is a way to send APRS to email, but the person receiving won't be able to send back unless their a licensed ham. You could probably relay an email or APRS message to a cell phone (it would be easy from email), but you'd have to set that up yourself. Remember, APRS is useful if you have access to a digipeater nearby. I have my doubts that it will do you much good in the mountains. The GPS certainly could be helpful, though.

the VX8r is in my possession

and I've been playing. Hitting the normal repeaters is no problem and my experience with the vx2r and 3r made an easy transition in the menus.
Currently I'm using the Diamond RHF40 (the super flexible ant.) and have had good success even with the built in shortwave channels. For a backpacker this ant. is perfect for carry while on the move and the j-pole for when setting up camp for the night.

I did spend an hour with the APRS/GPS after installing the GPS ant.
So far I'm getting a station list albeit small in my area...closest city above 15,000 is 15 miles away so I didn't expect too much.
It does seem that the vx8r is set up to send text messages-I just need to find someone in my area to experiment with (north east TN).

I've added 2 of the extended batteries for just in case scenarios which leads to a question on the EDC-6-the DC cable. Can I not simply attach it to any 12v battery pos to pos neg to neg? even the car battery?

I've added 2 of the extended batteries for just in case scenarios which leads to a question on the EDC-6-the DC cable. Can I not simply attach it to any 12v battery pos to pos neg to neg? even the car battery?

Just a general note on connecting directly to a car battery: be careful. The battery voltage will be nice and constant until you start the engine. Then, for a few seconds, it can fluctuate all over the place until the regulator wakes up. It's not unusual for it to drop from around 13.2V (quiescent) to 8.5V or so (while cranking), and then to jump up over 15V until the regulator takes control. Radios and other electronics connected directly to the battery have been severely damaged by these transients in some vehicles. Some can take it better than others.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.