• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

inverted L on top of a steel structure or ground mounted?

mr_fx

Oct 8, 2011
Kansas City
I am getting ready to build an invert L, with 160m, 80m and 40m, all on the same feed point... I have chosen a tree next to my 2 car 1 story (tall) garage... it is all steel, roof and sides...

the plan is to attached radials on the ground to the entire base, along the perimeter of the garage(allowing the garage to act like a hub for the radials, as well as being part of the ground mounted radial system

SO... should I mount the feed point on top on the roof, grounding the coax shield directly to the roof, OR

should I ground mount the feedpoint and dump the coax shield tot he side of the garage?

which would give the best results over all?

How close is the vertical element to the steel garage? If you ground feed the antenna and if it is very close to the steel garage, you are likely going to run into problems due to the proximity of the metal to the radiating element.

It sounds to me like the best idea is to incorporate that steel garage into the radial system, but try to get the top horizontal element as high as possible.

Reactions: Captain Kilowatt
well it seems to work better on the ground, dumping the coax shield directly to the steel garage, then attaching radials to the garage...

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.