1. You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.
    Dismiss Notice

iPortable iP60z Field SWR Antenna Analyzer

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Antennas' started by Happy_Hamer, Jul 24, 2012.

1. Happy_Hamer

Happy_Hamer Administrator
    Staff Member

Like many others, I have been using the MFJ 259B Antenna Analyzer in the field.

I was watching an instructional video on the Buddipole website and seen the iPortable Analyzer.

So I purchased mine from Buddipole so I can also purchase some extra clips for my antenna at the same time. Same price at iPortable

60z1.jpg

60z2.jpg

60z3.jpg

2. Happy_Hamer

Staff Member

2 people like this.
  3. Robb

Robb Yup

A bit less in cost than the MFJ-259B.

Did you ever try the Autek RF-1 analyst?

4. Happy_Hamer

Staff Member

Here is a photo just for the size comparison

I will make another in focus, but you can get a feel for the size

60z4.jpg

5. Happy_Hamer

Staff Member

I have a friend who has the Autek and I was not as impressed with it as much, maybe because this is just so simple like me is why I like the iPortable LOL :D

6. AudioShockwav

AudioShockwav Extraterrestrial Admin
    Staff Member

That is nice Bill, and it uses only a single 9 volt battery not a whole package of AA`s like my MFJ, I really like that feature.
    Cool beans!

Jeff

7. Happy_Hamer

Staff Member

I wanted to play with the analyzer so I set up my Buddipole as a VersaTee Vertical.

Once set up, including the elevated radial wire,, I just "drug" the lead up and down the coil and watched the SWR and impedance on the iP60z until it was as close as I could be to resonance. I was also using my 6 section adjustable shock cord. So I fine tuned it with the adjustable bottom section.

Now I know it is similar to just hooking up to the radio and dragging the lead for maximum noise level. After comparing the tap location with the noise level method and the iP60z I discovered it is just a coil ring or two difference.

I have the internal tuner on my KX3 so it would tune either method with no problem. Like I mentioned before, this tuner will tune a dog's tail LOL. In my mind though, if the antenna is adjusted to the best efficiency possible, then use the tuner, you would be getting the max radiated power? Correct? Every little bit is important when operating QRP. That is why I prefer set up using an analyzer. YMMV