1. You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.
    Dismiss Notice

Is buying broken things a sickness

Discussion in 'General CB Services Discussion' started by Tweetybird, Aug 14, 2019.

1. Tweetybird

Tweetybird Member

I am getting hooked on buying broken amplifiers palomar how many do you have to have to stop I just bought four in thirty days eating at the dollar menu

Shadetree Mechanic likes this.

2. LeapFrog

LeapFrog Wielding Hanlon's Razor

Yeah it's a sickness, one that gets progressively worse..

Towards the end stages you'll be up to your neck in broken equipment with no room left to walk around or even think about repairing things..
    But you'll keep buying stuff you don't need because It's a sickness.

kaos513 and Tallman like this.
  3. Tallman

Tallman W9WDX Amateur Radio Member, KW4YJ EXTRA class

It is an addiction!

tecnicoloco likes this.
  4. Captain Kilowatt

Captain Kilowatt Professional Amateur
    Staff Member

Yeah it is a sickness. I recovered several years ago and stopped buying broken stuff. Now I just build broken stuff. :LOL::ROFLMAO:

5. Riverman

Riverman Part-time Member

One of the warning signs of this dreaded malady is an occasional lack of use of punctuation when typing. The sickness is almost certainly full-blown and in its final stage when punctuation disappears completely.
    Where do we send flowers?

Dmans, Tweetybird, binrat and 2 others like this.
  6. Jay Mojave

Jay Mojave Well-Known Member

Yo: Its probably a ratio thing, you need at least a couple of amps working And you need a few working and then some not working with the idea u can fix em up and modulate with them

I have a Skipper 300 that Iam putting in a pair of 4CX350Bs into while keeping the face plate looking the same Its been years since I have started collecting the parts now I have all the parts and now Iam collecting more parts for more amps now a 4CX800 going into a old Maverick 250 Oh yeah a few other broken down amps using sweep tubes that will cost more than what the amps worth Oh yeah everyone should have a few non working amps that looked great on Ebay

Jay in the Great Mojave Desert

Slowmover and Tweetybird like this.
  7. unit_399

unit_399 EL CAPO

Ever watch HOARDERS on tv ?? One look at those people and you know it's a sickness.

tecnicoloco, Tweetybird and walterjn like this.
  8. Captain Kilowatt

Captain Kilowatt Professional Amateur
    Staff Member

:LOL::ROFLMAO:(y)

Tweetybird likes this.
  9. Mudduckmobile

Mudduckmobile Well-Known Member

No, Absolutely not.
    It's the funnest hobby going.

10. Robb

Robb Yup

Is it a 'sickness'?
    Ummmm . . . no . . .
    As Kliban once pointed out in a drawing: 'Never eat anything bigger than your own head . . .'

11. kaos513

kaos513 Well-Known Member

I have an excuse doctor ordered me to take up a hobby, heck it's even documented in my medical records.

12. TheRealPorkchop

TheRealPorkchop Certified Sith Pimp

That’s funny right there, I don’t care who you are.

Yes, it’s a habit, addiction or mental illness. Whatever you decide to call it or whatever makes you feel better about yourself. I suffer from it also.

Slowmover likes this.
  13. Slowmover

Slowmover Sr. Member

I stay on the road about 4-weeks at a time. Order from various sources the things I’d prefer not to have to spend time off sourcing locally.

Then, there’s radio . . .

My UPS store called me yesterday. I thought it would be my normal 90-day box payment. Well, its not a very big store, and he’s starting to run out of room.

14. Mudfoot

Mudfoot Sr. Member

My dad was a hoarder. Luckily, he hoarded mostly cool stuff, but a great deal was nonsensical. Him and my mom would watch that hoarder show. He'd set there and say those people were nuts. We'd all just look at him.

15. sunbulls

sunbulls Sr. Member

I find little enjoyment in buying something new that’s expensive. Where's the challenge? Refurbishing something gives me great pleasure, especially considering the monetary costs are usually extremely low. On the contrary, the day I stop being inquisitive is the day my feeble brain no longer cares about learning anything. I’m simply trying to keep from having that associated brain dead disease, or at least slow the process down.

bobl9355, Tweetybird, Dmans and 3 others like this.