• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

IS CB REALLY DYING OUT ???

Nick23 et al,

You can jump into ham with both feet or come up with a receiver for the bands you might be interested in. Listen around and see if its a game you want to play.

Ham to me is a little like having trains for a hobby. Some guys have HO layouts or different scales. Some only care about spotting full scale stuff. Others, well you get the idea.

Around here 2 meter repeaters have been all but dead. Not completely, but about like CB now.

Always signals somewhere on the low bands. I personally am totally enamored with Morse. Mobile or portable then voice is fun.

Really, we are all in the same hobby.....radio!!!

fonman 496

Are you a model railroader fonman? You seem to have knowledge in the hobby. Just wondering.

Wow this is some of best info on ham radios I have read. I go back and forth on getting my ticket or sticking with CB...

Don't know whether to stick with what I know and like or leap of into unknown ham land. Haha!
Get your Ham ticket! The tests are way easier than most people think, and it will transport you to a whole new world of radio options.

When it's all said and done its a great radio hobby rather its 10 meter 11 meter 2 meter and so on. Its only numbers. They all have their good points and bad points. Good operators and bad operators. It's about having fun and talking DX. 11 meters should never die its an icon of the radio communication hobby. even for those who graduated to the higher ranks or those who skipped it all together.

Ham'ers have FCC rules to abide by if they want to use anything other than 11 meters. On 11 meters there is a blatant disregard of whatever rules there are. As a result,everyone who wants to have a clean,orderly band has to put up with the filth that is being propagated. I gave my father my first cb I ever had back on the eighties after I moved up to a Galaxy 2100. After a period of time my father gave back the cb radio to me saying that there was too much filth on it back then. Lack of reinforcement of rules and a lack of morality means a debasing of everything. I often winch at most of the CB'ers transmission's content and often I choose to turn the volume down as a result. Mankind can be so much more than he is now.

I've started a couple N-scale layouts. Then we end up moving and tearing down the trains and the antennas. Eventually get settled and start again. That's about where I am now. Starting again. LOL.

Are you a model railroader fonman? You seem to have knowledge in the hobby. Just wondering.

I've started a couple N-scale layouts. Then we end up moving and tearing down the trains and the antennas. Eventually get settled and start again. That's about where I am now. Starting again. LOL.

My N scale layout. Not trying to get off topic. Give me a pm if you ever want to talk trains.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    267.7 KB · Views: 5
Recently heard that they are coming out with an app that will allow smartphone users to talk to each other phone to phone without cell towers! The higher ups think this could be useful in emergencies. I agree, and it could immediately turn millions of cell phones into direct "walkie talkies". This would open up the possibility of local "chit chat", just like we had in the early days of CB!

they have had that for a year or more already (using the cell towers of course but you can still talk locally if you make a local room) .check out an app called "zello"

its a virtual walkie talkie with push to talk forums .theres all kinds of rooms .cb rooms,skip talk rooms, general chit chat .i gave it a listen for awhile ,more young kids then anything cept in the cb rooms .

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.