• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Is it against the rules to post about this?

Crabhammer

May 31, 2015
I need help involving using a CB radio with a linear amp, which I know is against FCC laws. I want to interfere with my neighbor's stereo system (who has been tormenting me for years with his bass), which I know is also not legal. I want to transmit country music or something else he'd hate every time he blasts his rap too loud.

Please let me know if such a topic is unacceptable, I don't want to violate the rules.

Ha, I could, and I definitely want to, but then the cops would throw us both in jail. He'd have to attack me first and I'd need witnesses. :(

In the meantime though, I need to sleep and I need to study. The cops tell him to shut up 2-3 times a week, and legally that's all they can do. So it keeps going.

I know a CB radio can play through his stereo if it's amped enough, so I want to turn the tables on this whole situation. I have a long list of undesirable music I'd love to make him listen to.

So I'm wondering what gear I'll need and if I'll need to do any mods, but I'm not sure it's allowed to discuss this sort of project here.

Linear amp at chinese online store. :D

-font-b-CB-b-font-font-b-Linear-b-font-font-b-Amplifier-b-font.jpg

Yeah, about bothering other people, another thing I was gonna ask about was if I can control the direction of transmission, such as by angling an antenna and setting up some kind of RF shielding. The other neighbors are generally good people, so I'd like to avoid targeting them. It's just this one meth head moron causing trouble.

So I guess it's okay to talk about this stuff? If so I'll make a thread in a more appropriate section.

what you do is get a good pair of noise canceling headphones and wire up a good directional microphone. connect it to an equivalent stereo system and put your speakers pointing towards his house. aim the microphone and crank the stereo. the 180 degree out of phase sound waves from your stereo will cancel the sound waves created by the neighbor.
if you have a better sound system than he does you could overpower his stereo enough so even he can't hear it.

might just be easier if you call the cops. most places have noise laws. if he's not breaking the law, it's the joys of living in a neighborhood. people suck, deal with it.
breaking the law is risky at best, if you do it for revenge on someone who isn't breaking the law... then they start hunting for things to prosecute you for.

if the fcc is willing to fine a guy $112,000 for accidental RF noise from a well pump, what fines do you think will be levied for someone intentionally doing the same thing?

and I do know several people that will take the time to hunt down your signal. some would report you to the fcc, others will do as you want to and put a stop to it by dispensing their own brand of justice.

Last edited:
Reactions: w9cll
Cranking up my stereo that loud would be a surefire way to kill my pets.

And like I mentioned, the cops are over there to shut him up on a weekly basis. They hate him for a lot of other reasons, too. And yet they can't do anything about it.

This guy really isn't smart. At all. If I could somehow modify a radio and antenna to be transmit a 1-way short range beam, maybe around 10-15 yards, he would be the only one effected, and he'd be completely clueless.

Normally modifications are made to increase transmission and reception range and quality, right? But what about the opposite—modification to severely limit range and direction, while still allowing it to bleed into speakers.

Like I said before, I don't want anybody else caught in the crossfire. If it's possible to do this through modification, even if it takes a lot of tinkering, then that's gonna be a new hobby for me. I've got a soldering iron and lots of tools that never get to be used, plenty of wires, stuff I can scrap, and some spare cash to order parts, so I wanna give it a go.

So this is something I want to ask modders, how much control can you have over transmission range, if it's possible to intentionally gimp your radio so it can barely reach across your front yard. I guess just asking about that sort of modifications wouldn't be breaking any rules by itself.

.... If I could somehow modify a radio and antenna to be transmit a 1-way short range beam, maybe around 10-15 yards, he would be the only one effected,...Normally modifications are made to increase transmission and reception range and quality, right? But what about the opposite—modification to severely limit range and direction, while still allowing it to bleed into speakers.... if it's possible to intentionally gimp your radio so it can barely reach across your front yard....

one of these should do the trick

images

or
images

These situations have a way of escalating, and when it does you'll be the one who was intentionally disregarding federal regulations. I see much potential for this plan to blow up in your face.

You might check to see if your city has a party/nuisance ordinance on the books. It's pretty common for there to be an ordinance in place that applies an escalating series of fines for repeat offenders. I'd seen it work in other places that I lived and it was quite effective.
1st visit - written warning of fines for same offense within 1 year
2nd visit - $100 fine
3rd visit - $200 fine
4th visit - $300 fine
Etc...
It wasn't uncommon for a punk teenager to run up a $1000 worth of fines for Mommy and Daddy to return home to after a weekend away.

The town I currently live in DIDN'T have it in place and all it took to get it in place was a few minutes at a city council meeting with some police logs and pointing out the cost (to taxpayers) of dealing with "bad neighbors". When a city has limited resources (which any city will claim) and a resident makes the choice to use more than their fair share of those resources (repeat nuisance calls), they get to pay for their extra usage. Fair...

We make it a practice to let dispatch know that they're dealing with a repeat offender and that we want a noise ordnance ticket issued. That avoids a cop pulling up and simply asking them to turn it down since HE's never been there before.

Ours only took about 90 days to put in place initially. If this guy's a frequent flyer with your PD, ask the cops if they have an ordinance like that on the books. If they don't, they'd probably fully support getting it done. It's a hell of a tool in their bag of tricks to deal with TOOLS like the one you're dealing with.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.