• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Is it just me or is everything moving backwards??? No Mic's?

ElectronTubesRule

Sep 6, 2011
Ok so it seems to me that their are now now good powered hand mics on the market at all. The Astatic line of powered hand mics are now junk compared to the Older D104M6B, the RF Unlimted has noise issues in it's one mic that is not a toy with echo and other nonsense and even base mics are now ugly, do not perform well or are grossly overpriced!Cobra,Wilson,BarJan are all junk and have been for some time. I do not think Telex still makes anything useful if they are still around?

Heil is ok but it is a pain in the rear to buy one of their mic's then you have to buy a harness and butcher it sorry redesign it to work on 5 pin HR radios, 6 pin RCI's or 4 Pin Cobra. None of them are powered so that eliminates them on the spot.

I am not going to buy an Electro Voice RE20 and then install a PTT switch and a phantom power source for a mobile radio!

I remember time in the 1990's when finding a good power mic was not that hard to do. In fact I owned a Realistic Power mic that was fantastic for about 12 years of use. It was still electronically great other then the broken PTT switch I had repaired a few times.

I have been on google all day today looking for a really good sounding reasonably priced transistorized amplified hand mic. I can see it now I am going to end up with an Electrovoice RE-20, a tube preamp with phantom power, studio quality voice compressor with noise gate and eq and a foot opperated PTT that I can mount on the dead pedal next to my clutch pedal......I am joking by the way not going to go that route.....I might have to either buy an RF Unlimted Mic and figure out it's problem with noise or buy a D104M6B and figure out how to fix it so it sounds like the older ones.

It is just frustrating to see that even if you willing to pay for something you can not buy it because no one is selling it. Kind of like my desire for a small foot print RCI-2950DX can not buy what no one makes!

Not like I was expecting to get said mic for $19.95 or some insanely low price.

I now see why people over bid for stuff on ebay! You can not buy it new or used anyplace else! Why? No one is making it.

Reactions: 1 person

With todays radio gear there is no sound technical reason to use a power microphone. The radios have more than enough audio gain not like the gear of decades ago.

A very true statement Garth, but try telling this to the majority of 11M operators.

Ok so it seems to me that their are now now good powered hand mics on the market at all. The Astatic line of powered hand mics are now junk compared to the Older D104M6B, the RF Unlimted has noise issues in it's one mic that is not a toy with echo and other nonsense and even base mics are now ugly, do not perform well or are grossly overpriced!Cobra,Wilson,BarJan are all junk and have been for some time. I do not think Telex still makes anything useful if they are still around?

Heil is ok but it is a pain in the rear to buy one of their mic's then you have to buy a harness and butcher it sorry redesign it to work on 5 pin HR radios, 6 pin RCI's or 4 Pin Cobra. None of them are powered so that eliminates them on the spot.

I am not going to buy an Electro Voice RE20 and then install a PTT switch and a phantom power source for a mobile radio!

I remember time in the 1990's when finding a good power mic was not that hard to do. In fact I owned a Realistic Power mic that was fantastic for about 12 years of use. It was still electronically great other then the broken PTT switch I had repaired a few times.

I have been on google all day today looking for a really good sounding reasonably priced transistorized amplified hand mic. I can see it now I am going to end up with an Electrovoice RE-20, a tube preamp with phantom power, studio quality voice compressor with noise gate and eq and a foot opperated PTT that I can mount on the dead pedal next to my clutch pedal......I am joking by the way not going to go that route.....I might have to either buy an RF Unlimted Mic and figure out it's problem with noise or buy a D104M6B and figure out how to fix it so it sounds like the older ones.

It is just frustrating to see that even if you willing to pay for something you can not buy it because no one is selling it. Kind of like my desire for a small foot print RCI-2950DX can not buy what no one makes!

I now see why people over bid for stuff on ebay! You can not buy it new or used anyplace else! Why? No one is making it.

Or just sell out and buy a cell phone. Nobody is into radios anymore..

Mics

While it is true todays radios have enough gain stock mics lack punch.When am on 11 meter i like my superstar echo mic.Its very punchy its cheap and easy to use.In my shack i have a galaxy desk mic that makes my radio sound like its on steroids.Without it the radio sounds flat.I bring my radios gain back and the audio punches.

this is why a good ol 575 m6 goes for sooo much money now .quality has gone out the window,i would rather pay for a 575 up front then go thru numerous mics trying to find something that works not even near as good .
until all is said and done you would have had more enjoyment and talk time out of that hi dollar old school mic then you would with any new offering .

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated