• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

is it me or is the D104 hand mic just better for CB?

Snake Eyes

Oct 24, 2007
I also have a ham setup and the PR-40 mic by Heil, but I have heard excellent sound coming from those peak, tuned, and aligned rigs, that use the D-104 hand mic!

I have decided on one for myself, and my new Connex. Can't wait to get it!

Snake Eyes

They are a hot mic, so once you remove all the limiters that keep the signal under control, they allow you to overdrive the snot out of the radio.

I use one on my mobile HF rig, but I have to keep it turned down to under the '2' mark to keep the signal clean.

SR385,

It is interesting that you are using the D104 hand mic with your HF rig. What do you mean by removing the limiters and such on the D104?

I understand turning the hand mic to no more than 2 on the dial.

Thanks,
Snake Eyes

that's cool, i have some hf radios i'd like to have d104's wired up to.... did you do the wiring yourself, or can you recommend a place online to have it done?

snake eyes

Snake Eyes said:
that's cool, i have some hf radios i'd like to have d104's wired up to.... did you do the wiring yourself, or can you recommend a place online to have it done?

snake eyes

Tim English, te@usol.com can custom make you an adapter. I had him make me one for my D104 which was originally wired for an HR2600. The adaptor is a short jumper with the appropriate connectors on either end. I actually found Tim from a search on Ebay but he didn't have the Uniden to Icom adapter that I needed so he made one up for me. I'm not sure what he keeps in stock, but I'm sure he can hook you up with what you need.

Hope this helps!!

Wayne C.

[/img]

Snake Eyes said:
SR385,

It is interesting that you are using the D104 hand mic with your HF rig. What do you mean by removing the limiters and such on the D104?

I understand turning the hand mic to no more than 2 on the dial.

Thanks,
Snake Eyes

Ah, I was referring to removing the limiters in the CB itself. The D104 allows you to max out the drive on a radio easily due to its hot output level.

With HF rigs, particularly new ones, the input is already gained quite a bit so you don't need any pre-amp to drive them, thus needing to keep the mic gain on the mic itself so low.

power mics arnt recomended for mobiles . they pick up too much background noise . exp. stereo,wind,motor,exhasust,road vibrations,passengers, basically anything making a noise . use a good noise cancelling mickey phone in a mobile .

if you dont have a quiet room for you home rig a NC mic is good there to . no television,kids and such interfering with your transmission .

sparkys does have an Astatic NC power mic on sale though .
http://www.sparkyscbshack.com/catalog/item/3922747/4906226.htm

BOOTY MONSTER said:
power mics arnt recomended for mobiles . they pick up too much background noise . exp. stereo,wind,motor,exhasust,road vibrations,passengers, basically anything making a noise . use a good noise cancelling mickey phone in a mobile .

if you dont have a quiet room for you home rig a NC mic is good there to . no television,kids and such interfering with your transmission .
THANK YOU! There's a ton of people around here that insist on running power mics in their mobiles, especially the d104m6b. 99% of the time they run it wide open, too. I had a couple guys even refuse to turn it down, lol. They sounded like crap. I personally don't like the way those mics sound, and I can ALWAYS tell who's running a d104 handheld.

Gearhead said:
THANK YOU! There's a ton of people around here that insist on running power mics in their mobiles, especially the d104m6b. 99% of the time they run it wide open, too. I had a couple guys even refuse to turn it down, lol. They sounded like crap. I personally don't like the way those mics sound, and I can ALWAYS tell who's running a d104 handheld.

They can sound great if turned down and close-talked.

I also have a Road Devil, but the audio quality isn't as good with my Yaesu using that mic.

Both of mine are years and years old though so they are a bit worse for the wear now.

many variables on this subject , hows the radio tuned ? is it C&R'ed ? Is it clipped ? Hmmmm Does it have a NPC mod done to it ? There is a time and a place for any power microphone. The D-104 Hh's is a great amplified mic ! but what is it going on ? You put it on a cap and resistored radio or even a clipped limitered one for that matter , it's going to be balls to the walls audio , especially in a mobile , kind of like a wind tunnel effect , you want to sound like that ? That's your business if you do and leave it not to me to tell you so. Usually on radios like that a simple stock mic or any NC mic will be all you need in the mobile. Even on a scoped out properly tuned radio , they can still be to much in the mobile if you crank the volume up to much on them , many times , you need only crack them open and talk across them as you would a NC mic. I personally always enjoyed the 575M6 in the mobile , they seemed to do a better job on both AM/SSB , they just seemed a little more mellower then the D-104 Hh's and you only had to crack the volume on those a wee bit as well. I learned many many years ago , guys like to sound like poop ! they don't care you can hear everything else around them , that's there business . I personally want to sound good whatever the hell IM talking on. If there's a will there's a way . To each his or her own. Those power mic's were made to make out of the box cb radios sound a little louder , that means no one has had there techy little hands in them. ;)

I like my D-104 mic but it don't sound near as good as my SuperStar DM-1000 Tornado does.The SuperStar does better on any radio i put it on.Especially my 2950DX.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.