• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Is SW bad in Colorado?

wambulance

Sep 23, 2009
Still waiting on my Grundig 750, but had the chance to do a bit more reading and some experimentation before it gets here.

A friend of mine can barely get the clock in Fort Collins at 5000khz. Barely. He gets nothing else. That's just with a DX-440 with the built in antenna that he got off a friend for a few bucks.

Read a review on the 750 where someone in Colorado cannot hear the clock at all (or anything else) and is disappointed.

Went to Radio Shack and played with a portable. Couldn't get anything that was listenable. I could tell stuff was there, but couldn't even tell you which language it was in.

Is Colorado particularly bad for shortwave? Or, is this all operator error or circumstance? I'll know in a week or so when my radio gets here and my 400 feet of wire for antenna, but this is buggin me. Thanks in advance.

I live in the NE corner of Colorado (150 miles from Ft. Collins) and I get WWV on 2500,5000,10000 and 15000 but I will admit there are days when nothing comes in.

It's the clock in Fort Collins, CO. It simply broadcasts time, some tones, and various messages at certain times of day. It's a good way to see if you're getting anything at all because it's a fairly strong signal and people can typically hear it all over North America.

If you're referring to the recording itself and how that's done, there are many ways. Some radios have a line out that you can record from.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.