• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Is SWL poor in Alaska?

totallyfrozen

Nov 10, 2009
Hey gang,
I'm very new to SWL (I've actually only been listening for about 1 week). I live in Alaska (UTC -9). At night, I've been able to detect some Australian broadcasts but my reception is VERY poor. Basically, I get nothing but static with the occasional, melodic tones of the human voice trying to come through. I haven't been able to pick up anything else (e.g. China, Japan, Korea, US military, etc.)--NOTHING.

I'm using a Sony ICF-SW7600GR with the included retractable wire antenna. I have the antenna streched across a window (approx 6'). It's a West facing window. I have no windows on the south side of my place. My radio room is on the top floor of a 3-story building. I have a large mountain range to my east and the Cook Inlet bay to my west. I have a combination of mountains and valleys stretching for hundreds of miles to my south.

What can I do to get better reception with the gear that I have?
Is SWL just notoriously poor in Alaska because I'm on top of the globe?

Thanks for any help or advice that you guys can share.

yOU NEED A BETTER ANTENNA, YOU MIGHT ACCORDING TO YOUR WINDOWS RUN A WIRE AROUND IT AND INTO A TUNER FOR RECEIVE RECEPTION.
The 6 mhz band seems active at night, although I listen for pirate stations on 6925. all the time.

Give it more than a week.

DOCTOR/795

...Give it more than a week.
Oh, I'm not even considering walking away from the hobby (especially after only one week). I had a career as a radio announcer for roughly a decade and I used to be a CB'er too. I really enjoy radio overall (listening, chatting, professional broadcasting, AM DX'ing, etc.). I know that SW program schedules tend to change and the daytime, season, and weather are big factors too. Yeah, I'm not discouraged in the least. I do realize that there are many tips, tricks, and traps that I don't know about yet. It'll be fun to learn.

In any case, I know that sooner or later I'll get it all dialed in just right.

I will try to loop the wire antenna that I have around the entire window per your suggestion. Am I understanding that correctly? That I can use the wire reel antenna and outline my window with it for better effect?

Thanks so much for the suggestion.

RECEPTION

YEP try it that way around the window. To see how it is working try 7415usb a few times a day that is wbcq and they put out a powerful signal on shortwave.

Also if your stuck in an apartment, and want to transmit worldwide download hamsphere.com and register, world wide fun and adventure.

DOCTOR/795

Bullseye!

Hey, thanks alot!
I extended the wire to outline the window (and fully extend the antenna). I always listen at night and never during the morning because I'm getting ready for work. Well, today I decided to see what was floating around in the air @ 6am my time.

I caught an Australian broadcast that was difficult to understand on 5335kHz, but I caught a fairly clear North Korean broadcast on 9335kHz!

The North Korean broadcast was a bit sketchy but it was but clear enough for me to understand (in English) some commie catch phrases and words like "utopian", "capitalist", "marxist", "the revolution", "exploited working class", etc. It was enough to know that I had accurately dialed in the Voice of Korea.

I think with better antenna placement, I may be able to bring these stations in with less static.

Question: I actually have 2 of these retractable wire antennas (one left over from a radio that my nephew never returned to me). Since my south wall is an exterior wall (with no window), could I also stretch the 2nd antenna on the south wall and connect that also to my radio's whip antenna (so that I have 2 wire antennas attached to my radio) for better reception?

Would that help or hurt my reception?

Thanks for your time.

r
Oh, I'm not even considering walking away from the hobby (especially after only one week). I had a career as a radio announcer for roughly a decade and I used to be a CB'er too. I really enjoy radio overall (listening, chatting, professional broadcasting, AM DX'ing, etc.). I know that SW program schedules tend to change and the daytime, season, and weather are big factors too. Yeah, I'm not discouraged in the least. I do realize that there are many tips, tricks, and traps that I don't know about yet. It'll be fun to learn.

In any case, I know that sooner or later I'll get it all dialed in just right.

I will try to loop the wire antenna that I have around the entire window per your suggestion. Am I understanding that correctly? That I can use the wire reel antenna and outline my window with it for better effect?

Thanks so much for the suggestion.

Take care not to signal overload the front end on that Sony. Sony radios are notorious for having weak front ends even tho they are great radios.

Edit to add.........
I use a simple CHEAP FM dipole antenna (indoors) that I bought at the local hardware store for my all my portables including my Sony's (2). They help a bunch and will do no harm.

http://www.amazon.com/Parts-Express...8?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1258140083&sr=1-8
(Tip: bolt the two ends together on the alligator clip for the antenna.)

-also from "Passport guide 2008"-
"Run several yards of ordinary (insulated) wire(14 ga works ok) to a tree, then alligator clip one end to your telescoping antenna"
(Tip: tie some bright cloth strips along the wire to discourage birds from landing on the wire.)

Last edited:
I use a simple CHEAP FM dipole antenna (indoors) that I bought at the local hardware store for my all my portables including my Sony's (2). They help a bunch and will do no harm.

Amazon.com: FM Dipole Antenna: Electronics
(Tip: bolt the two ends together on the alligator clip for the antenna.)...
Hey, thanks!
I actually have one of these sitting around here. I had forgotten all about it! I've had it for years and years and I didn't use it so I forgot I had it. I'll give that a shot. Thanks again.

Top of the Globe here with ya, Anchorage Alaska here also, South Side.
A simple outdoor home brew dipole or wire antenna is all that's needed here to pick up most anything. If your on the air give us a shout on 27.245.

Hey gang,
I'm very new to SWL (I've actually only been listening for about 1 week). I live in Alaska (UTC -9). At night, I've been able to detect some Australian broadcasts but my reception is VERY poor. Basically, I get nothing but static with the occasional, melodic tones of the human voice trying to come through. I haven't been able to pick up anything else (e.g. China, Japan, Korea, US military, etc.)--NOTHING.

I'm using a Sony ICF-SW7600GR with the included retractable wire antenna. I have the antenna streched across a window (approx 6'). It's a West facing window. I have no windows on the south side of my place. My radio room is on the top floor of a 3-story building. I have a large mountain range to my east and the Cook Inlet bay to my west. I have a combination of mountains and valleys stretching for hundreds of miles to my south.

What can I do to get better reception with the gear that I have?
Is SWL just notoriously poor in Alaska because I'm on top of the globe?

Thanks for any help or advice that you guys can share.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.