• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

is the ft-2900 a good rig

KD8NKK

Feb 20, 2010
hamilton ohio
i orderd a ft-2900 rig. it should be here in about 3 days or so. anyone used this radio before? hope i picked a good one. i plan on using the repeters and also simplex. any idea what the expected range would be in a mobil using simplex? i had a ft-270 ht but it froze up on me:oops:. so i returned it and decided to upgread to this rig.(y)

I had a Yaesu FT-2800 that was my first 2 meter rig and was great in both the car and base. The power out was roughly 65 watts (the updated model you are getting will push 75!). With a decent mobile antenna you should have no problem talking simplex to other stations....how far is not an easy question to answer though as this depends on many factors.

1. The antenna first and foremost is the deciding factor of your signal. While on base, a high mounted vertical or J-pole will get you out omnidirectional. That being said a Yagi or Log periodic will get you more gain however is unidirectional and needs to be turned towards the station you are communicating with. While out mobile a vertical is all that is really practical and results will vary. I do just fine with a 19 1/2 inch radiator. Your results will vary.

2. Power output. Again, with a decent antenna the more power to a properly tuned antenna the better....on the transmit side though and means nothing when hearing the other station. 75 watts is a nice option to have and the FT-2900 advertises this. Let me know how it works.

3. Elevation, as mentioned above, the higher the better. I personally use an arrow J-pole at home mounted appx. 40 feet in the air on a piece of metal EMT 1 inch conduit. This gets me into machines 70 miles away to the north of me which in my opinion is pretty good for the terrain around my area. Again your results will vary.

4. Feed line. Many options here, if you skimp on the feedline not only will you not hear as well but all that power will be lost in the coax. I personally do not have the most expensive stuff on the block. I have a roll of RG-8X that I feed my HF antennas and my arrow j-pole....works good enough for me. You can get better though. LMR-400 is popular and any VHF and up operator will tell you it's the very least you should use. I don't personally have a large run, about 55 feet to the antenna down to the shack. If I wanted to go all out I would buy some Andrews Heliax low loss hardline. This of course is more expensive and a little harder to work with (in respect to bending and making turns etc.)

I have only scratched the surface as much more knowledge can be found on the internet and elsewhere. I do hope this info helps and others will probably chime in with more information. Good luck with the new rig.

Mike
KC2PLJ

ok thanks. yea i know there is a lot of varerabls. i was trying to ballpark the range. for mobil i was thinking of using a Hustler Model CG-144. roof mounted. as for a base im not sure yet on what antenna to use. maby Hy-Gain's VB214FM 2m BEAM 14 ELEMENT beam. but not sure yet

When I owned my FT-2800, it was reliable and never gave me any problems. So far, looking at the mostly positive reviews on E-ham I would say it's a nice buy but unable to comment personally as I have never owned one. Let us all know what you think!

As far as a 14 element FM yagi, that would be nice. A way to turn it (rotor and control box) even better.

I considered a yagi at one point but found that my vertical fits my needs well enough.

Mike
KC2PLJ

Range has so many variables...very hard to answer.

With a Diamond SG-7900 around typical varied NJ suburban terrain...15-20 miles from my Jeep with 50W to a base with a half way decent roof antenna at 50W. It all depends on elevation above average terrain and if there is anything between you to block line of sight.

The 2800 was very reliable, we use a bunch of them for packet stations that are on 24/7 and the only trouble we have is if a hamfisted ham does something dumb to the radio.

A tip. Just because it says 65W doesn't mean you should run it at full power all the time. They conveniently leave the duty cycle off power ratings. If you are long winded and rag chew on simplex, I would run it down at 35W or so and it will last a long time. If you cook it at 65W in a heavy handed manner, you'll kill it. Same with hammering most any FM rig on full power all the time.

thanks for the tip. i was planing on only using as much as needed to make the trip. then when out of simplex range switch to the repeters. i tend to only key short keys. im not a long winded person. i just key then listen then key aging and so on .... thanks for the info.... 73's to all

Mobil antenna I use a Larson NMO-150 on a mag mount,does a great job for me...

but then again I am sort of biased on Larson :p

I have used that antenna for a long time,also keep in mind that alot of police and fire departments use that very antenna

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.