• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Is This True?

i've been told they are illegal to own, operate, sell, or even have as a parts rig. I took one to a tech i know and he looked at me like i robbed the bank. He told me i had to have it destroyed in 24 hours by a law enforcement official or i was comitting a federal offence by having it on my person... I simply walked out and laughed...

i've been told they are illegal to own, operate, sell, or even have as a parts rig. I took one to a tech i know and he looked at me like i robbed the bank. He told me i had to have it destroyed in 24 hours by a law enforcement official or i was comitting a federal offence by having it on my person... I simply walked out and laughed...
What a crock! :laugh: The guy as probably trying to scam you out of a classic rig!

Reactions: 1 person
Yeah he was the same one that told me to "throw my 148 GTL in the trash" as it was unfixable and all it needed was an alignment. He REFUSES to work on anything older than 20 years regardless of condition....

Yeah he was the same one that told me to "throw my 148 GTL in the trash" as it was unfixable and all it needed was an alignment. He REFUSES to work on anything older than 20 years regardless of condition....
148 GTL's are easy to fix; any half-decent tech can work on one. It's a classic SSB radio that still performs well today. "Throw it in the trash"! The guy is an idiot.

hes not an idiot he is very smart he just doesn't like to work on older stuff. The reason he doesn't like working on a lot of older CB rigs is because of the parts that are now obsolete especially the finals. So his solution is to simply tell you to throw the radio away and buy new instead of trying to fix it. He says CB radios are "throw away" radios.. Plus hes tied up most of the time with 2 way radios for the sheriff and fire departments.

Well Zman your tech is right to an extent. Pretty much all electronics built in the last 35 years are throw away. It's not like the days of vacuum tube electronics where you replace the burned out tubes every so often and it keeps on going. Except I think your tech was probably hoping to watch you chuck that radio in the garbage can on your way out of the shop, so he could retrieve it out of the trash, fix whatever was wrong with it, and then flip it on ebay.

hes not an idiot he is very smart he just doesn't like to work on older stuff. The reason he doesn't like working on a lot of older CB rigs is because of the parts that are now obsolete especially the finals. So his solution is to simply tell you to throw the radio away and buy new instead of trying to fix it. He says CB radios are "throw away" radios.. Plus hes tied up most of the time with 2 way radios for the sheriff and fire departments.
In this instance, you are precisely correct. I know many professional land-mobile techs who disdain working on CBs for that exact reason- they are cheap, and older one's are so obsolete as to render many parts unobtanium. As well, they just don't have the time to nickel-and-dime on a cheap repair, when they have more serious work to do. This is the mark of a professional tech-he knows where to draw the line on unsupportable rapair jobs. I know some CB shops who's techs feel he same way. Old radio doesn't work? He can sell you a much better "export" radio at relatively cheaper cost and put you back on the air in better style than you were before. Makes sense.

I stand corrected.

Well Zman your tech is right to an extent. Pretty much all electronics built in the last 35 years are throw away. It's not like the days of vacuum tube electronics where you replace the burned out tubes every so often and it keeps on going. Except I think your tech was probably hoping to watch you chuck that radio in the garbage can on your way out of the shop, so he could retrieve it out of the trash, fix whatever was wrong with it, and then flip it on ebay.

That's why I give stuff like that the hammer treatment. DOA

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.