• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

It Seems to Us: Not an Emergency Radio Service?

ARRL

Nov 15, 2008
The FCC raised a few eyebrows by including the following sentence in its Public Notice DA 09-2259 (see page 72, this issue): "While the value of the amateur service to the public as a voluntary noncommercial communications service, particularly with respect to providing emergency communications, is one of the underlying principles of the amateur service, the amateur service is not an emergency radio service [emphasis added]."

More...

I'm thankful every day I decided not to renew my ARRL membership. This is ridiculous.

I'm thankful every day I decided not to renew my ARRL membership. This is ridiculous.
I know it's hard for the amateur community swallow but I pay good money for a dedicated emergency service such as police and fire protection and other federal organizations which I and millions of other Americans consider as their first line of defense and or rescue.

No one is saying that the help received from the amateur community is not appreciated but one has to realize that they are amateur and thus not specifically relied upon in emergency situations.

So please get over the snubbing you've received from the FCC and get on with what you're doing.

I think they would have done themselves a favor in this statement if they had included the word "primarily" as in, "the amateur service is not primarily an emergency service." But that wouldn't have raised any eyebrows and everyone could have continued sleeping instead of reading their "news" releases or whatever the thing was.

Back to the nap
putertired.gif

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ ShadowDelaware:
    AKA- UDX122
  • @ ShadowDelaware:
    West indies and Australia coming in to South Jersey
  • dxBot:
    c316buckeye has left the room.
  • @ nfsus:
    Arkansas skip has been heavy at nights here lately. Australians all over the place
  • dxBot:
    RFactive has left the room.