• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Its Heathkit time !!! HW101 is going to 11meters my friends !!

In the interest of honesty , no ;( it does not make sense to me kopcicle . Only thing I think I got is that the new crystal will drop me 3.395 MHz but I feel even that is a guess sorry :( Its a whole new world to me lol I have a few old police scanners from the crystal days as long as a few mobile and handhelds with crystal but Im shooting from the hip here :eek:

Sorry but thanks in advance for any help lol

Brian

http://radioremembered.org/HW-101.html
https://w5rkl.com/restored-heathkit-hw-101-2/
Nice restoration work was done here!

Good reading here on why the power supply needs to be rebuilt first!
http://wmsinc.org/N7EBG/heathkitpdf/HW-101 and HP-23A restoration.pdf

RF deck replacement caps
https://hayseedhamfest.com/products/heathkit-hw-100

Troubleshooting tips from Heathkit: http://www.w7ekb.com/glowbugs/ModsEtc/HW-101tips.pdf

https://www.hamradioqrp.com/2018/02/the-heathkit-hw-101-lives-again.html

Not to BURST your bubble, however not a plug and play restoration.
You can see by all these links, many things need to be done to bring this Good Old Girl back to life correctly and Smartly. Regardless of who built it the rig is 60 years old and has been sitting by his own admission AT LEAST 10 years.
So just some humble advice, take your time and do the job right.
Look over the work others have done and why.
You may find this is not a project for you, however, if you follow the work others have done you may find you actually learned somethings in the slow dedicated process.
All the Best
Gary

This is the plan my friend one foot in front of the other until its working and tested on all modes into the dummy load ! Im in no rush this WILL be my learning tool with these old girls and with all the smart people here that are willing to help , we will get her up and inline in a decent amount of time ! I would also sell it to a ham if it were rare or of special interest but I think losing 10 meters for the gain of 11 meters is ok in my book lol

thanks

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
what he said
Now Brian, step away from the Christmas cookies and candy ...
Any of us that muck about in the PC-412 family recognize that frequency range.
If you have one, tap TP1 through a few pf into a piece of 1/8" coax and ...

NO, that crystal will NOT work!

35.895 MHz = 27.0 thru 27.500
36.395 MHz = 27.500 thru 28.000
these MUST be EXACT or your VFO calibration will be way off.

Thanks BJ but no reason to SHOUT :ROFLMAO: Just kidding lol . I haven't spoken to you much but I'm the first to admit I know next to nothing compared to most of you guys :(. I was born the year my HW-101 was built , I can tune a Connex or a Cobra 29(not professionally) but I'm just getting my feet wet with this gear ! I own some really nice "10 meter" tube amps and a few tube radios but I have only replaced tubes , sockets and coax in them . Its probably going to be boring for most of you guys but Im reading a whole bunch of stuff and taking it 1 step at a time ! In the interest of full disclosure I DO NOT have a Ham ticket (obviously) I do however respect most Hams and what they do . I have a bunch of locals on 10 meters with tickets and I have never even keyed on the ham bands (well upper and lower extras :eek:) but I'm not a dick about it and I am sure some day I will get my ticket . Last time I was going to get it you still needed to know Morse code and I just did not want to be bothered . I still have a ton of fun DX'ing on 11meters so until I get bored the CB will keep me entertained !

Thanks for all your input so far, Brian
4-2-ZERO NJ

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
what he said
Now Brian, step away from the Christmas cookies and candy ...
Any of us that muck about in the PC-412 family recognize that frequency range.
If you have one, tap TP1 through a few pf into a piece of 1/8" coax and ...

Ok so we are talking pc412 like in a Cobra 148 ?? Im starting to get it a little tiny bit lol I also went through some parts chassis and found these crystal . Useless in this case but I see now how the freq shifts when applied in a circuit ! Baby steps gents baby steps ..

These crystals came out of a President John Q. and I could not understand for the life of me why they were not 27mhz crystals but its starting to click a tiny bit :D We have a long ride ahead , who is coming with me lol . If this is too rudimentary or basic for most people I understand but I think I have met enough really nice people here that I think I will get things rocking and rolling !

Thanks kopcicle feel free to text or call if I'm embarrassing myself haha I don't mind looking like an idiot but I don't want to drag anyone down with me (or loose my new DX buddies lol)

003.JPG 004.JPG

Reactions: Woody-202

Awesome BJ thanks my friend when its time I will order them up ! I bought an oring assortment to replace the tuning or "drive belts" as people are calling them , rewired the 11 pin connectors . Made an adapter to go from pl259 to RCA jack for antenna (I may just metal punch the cab I don't like the idea of sending 100watts through an RCA jack , even though it has worked for years . It aint pretty but it will work until I decide if I'm going to punch the cabinet or not !

123.JPG 125.JPG

Thanks and 73's WINKDOGG

kopper just because I have a ton of cool toys and I talk a decent game I think you are giving me too much credit :ROFLMAO::LOL: I have added channels to radios but have never once soldered a crystal :whistle: I just jumped pins to switches and like magic I'm 40 up and 40 down (that doesn't mean I understand how said magic happens ) lol . If you think I'm getting in too deep here I understand :( (it probably wont stop me but I certainly understand ) besides using a usb programing cable and a digital display just isn't fun anymore (y)
73's
Brian

Hey guys to all that don't want to choke me for putting this big girl on 11 meters here are some updates ! Nothing earth shattering but I think it cleaned up well .

Replaced tuning belts with Chinook Helicopter O-Rings lol (buddy at Boeing lets me go shopping ;) lots of goodies in the Chinook shop)
Pulled tubes and tested again on a different tube tester , all almost 95%!!!
Cleaned board and tube sockets
Rigged up a mic connector to a 636L (just for testing of keying circuit) please excuse the gold bullet connectors Im not able to source a 2 pin mic plug locally so Ill order one when I order the 11meter crystals .
She is pulling in CW and Modulated conversation on my vert dipole on ALL bands.
Cleaned the case and face , was able to get it 90% cleaned up only a couple scratches and a little face staining but not bad at all .

Any ideas or suggestions please feel free to jump in anytime !

Thanks as always and 73's WINKDOGG 4-2-ZERO NJ
Brian 089.JPG 097.JPG 100.JPG 101.JPG 102.JPG 103.JPG 105.JPG 109.JPG

Reactions: TM86

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?