1. You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.
    Dismiss Notice

It's Here! The new Kenwood TH-D74 HT!

Discussion in 'Ham Equipment' started by Moleculo, Oct 4, 2016.

1. Moleculo

Moleculo Administrator
    Staff Member

This weekend I picked up the new Kenwood TH-D74 HT from Ham Radio Outlet here in Southern California. From the preliminary information, I new this radio was an updated version of the TH-D72 but with D-Star included, but I definitely didn't realize how sophisticated and complete this little radio is.

[​IMG]

I can honestly say that I haven't been this impressed or excited about an HT since the introduction of the Yaesu VX-8. This radio is like the love-child of the Kenwood TH-F6, the Kenwood TH-D-72, and the Icom ID-51. The TX range covers 2 meters, 220 Mhz, and 440 Mhz. It has a built-in GPS and TNC supporting APRS and KISS modes, much like the TH-D72. The D-Star support is on par with the Icom radios and works flawlessly. Like the TH-F6, it can receive HF & MW bands, including support for SSB, AM, CW, and FM modes. Lastly, it features USB, SD-Card, and Bluetooth interfaces / connectivity.

This is an expensive radio, but my first impressions are that Kenwood has hit a home-run and this will be on the top of the list of every ham's "must buy" list!

N4UED likes this.

2. kaos513

kaos513 Well-Known Member

Looks great

3. Adrian C

Adrian C New Member

I just received a European version and still working it out.

Do you know if the TH-d72 mars/cap mods will work on the TH-D74?

4. eb2emz

eb2emz Member

Hi:
    Are you going to do a review, like other radios?
    Your reviews are very interesting.

73's from Joe

5. Moleculo

Moleculo Administrator
    Staff Member

Yes, I'll do a full review very shortly. I've pretty much got the whole thing figured out, but there are one or two little things that I need to work out first. I don't have the MARS info yet, either.

6. orion

orion Member

Nothing yet?

7. Moleculo

Moleculo Administrator
    Staff Member

8. Needle Bender

Needle Bender ...he thinks it's funny that I stepped in it

Monrovia... ouch.

Dated cute little Sue W, Monrovia Day Queen 1975... The one that got away! :love:

...one of the MANY that got away :whistle:

Sorry, off topic. Looks like a must-have HT!

#8 Needle Bender, Jan 26, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2017