• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Its time to get out of radio

Don't feel a lone Buddy, I'm right there with you. Going to put my Uniden 980 in my car today because the Galaxy 979 appear to need attention. Getting sick of this game. I should have used the KISS theory. LOL
Now that's probably 1 reason I stopped for a while.
The radio with SSB and went with amps I had(Cobra 2000) needed work and was lost for a repair guy.
New wife and work.
Bad deal about the 2995dx, ugh, that stinks.

Reactions: whiteastro
Unfortunately that seems to be the case especially with the rangers having the rt1 amplifiers built in. Last ranger I bought is the x9 and sad to say I'm almost afraid to run it because of the magic smoke that likes come out of them.

I too remember the days when we would buy radios, use them, and they not only worked but continued to work!

My friend, I understand your frustration...

I've been sayings it for a little while now, the anytone chineesium built radios are sure working really well these days.

RANGER Communications Inc might want to get their heads out of their asses!

CRANIAL-RECTUM-ITIS
Definition= head in the ass disease
Correct me if I'm wrong (first time for everything,lol ) but at 1 time Ranger had good quality Control and made really good and durable radios,did someone buy Ranger out and everything went to Crap afterwards in quality Control, just Curious..........

Reactions: undertaker
Correct me if I'm wrong (first time for everything,lol ) but at 1 time Ranger had good quality Control and made really good and durable radios,did someone buy Ranger out and everything went to Crap afterwards in quality Control, just Curious..........
No, same owner as in the beginning. Ranger is on a continuous quest to cut costs and it shows. Ranger radios were made in Taiwan initally, as were the 8719 era Uniden's. Quality was decent. They were somewhat well thought out back in the day, but always made poor receivers, which is still true and nowadays, drift like a dead boat in the water.

Example, I have a 20 year old Galaxy DX-949, that does not drift. I had to modify the AGC circuit to make the RX tolerable. I also have a 2950 since the 90's, bad RX, but works. I have a 2950DX with a PLL problem I have not been able to resolve. It might just get the hammer fix. They are all toy radios to me anyway.

I got in on this post late, but I'm glad you had a change of heart. I get out of radio from time to time, but I never sell my equipment (thank goodness) because I know eventually I would regret it. I usually take a hiatus because I get bored, not as many people on the radio as there use to be, or life just gets to busy and radio goes to the wayside. But sooner or later I'll see or read something radio related and I'm off and running again. And as someone said earlier I too like the vintage equipment something about a vintage President Madison just makes my heart beat a little faster, I've just purchased my first tube amplifier a few months back and I'm already thinking of buying another. Something about the equipment from back in the day? Maybe because when I was a kid all the grown-ups were talking on the very equipment that we now call vintage. Any who, again I'm glad you've changed your mind, and I hope you keep enjoying the hobby. At least at WWDX you have people on here that understand your frustration and your love for the radio hobby, CB and HAM NERDS UNITE !
Hang onto them radios yes.
Also fire em radios up 2-3 times a year keep caps working.
I think lots of us had been in & out cb hobby .
On the airwaves lots people have passed away but seems once while a
newcomer to the air?
Please keep passing the fun onto the younger generation.
Keep them 8 year olds away from smartphones.
Like my latest project. Is to get a handful people on in a small town that
was past overwhelmed with operators local at night in late 90's & 2k's .
People now a days cant afford $200 RADIO, $100 POWER SUPPLY
$150 ANTENNA SYSTEM just to try it out.
Lets simplify this with old radios am bases radio-shacks worth about $30 or mobil onto 3 amp supply homemade antennas verticals ect" doesn't take much.

I remember waiting to buy a TRC 448 when it went on sale. List was something like $269.99 and it went on sale for $100.00 off. We're talking 40 years ago, so figure what that would be in today's dollars.

Today, I'm using a Realistic TRC 490 base (with a Turner Super Side Kick) that I bought in 1981, a Cobra 148 GTL made in 1992, a Uniden PC 122 that is from the late 80/early 90s and a Cherokee AH 100 SSB walkie talkie that is probably 25 years old. My Johnson 4740 lasted about 40 years.

There's a reason we like the old stuff...it works!

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.