• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

jc penney 981-6247

Adam Tompkins

Dec 31, 2019
I have a strange issue. This radio has perfect receive on AM, perfect transmit on AM,lsb, and usb, but no receive at all on usb, or lsb. Radio goes dead quiet on usb and lsb but transmits clearly. All voltages and frequencies are fine around the synthesizer and audio circuits. I also recapped the radio and no change.
Does anyone have any ideas?
More importantly, does anyone have the sams photofacts for this radio, or a ge 3-5825a or hygain 2705, or ANY radio using the cybernet ptmb048aox board?

Reactions: Rwb

I have a strange issue. This radio has perfect receive on AM, perfect transmit on AM,lsb, and usb, but no receive at all on usb, or lsb. Radio goes dead quiet on usb and lsb but transmits clearly. All voltages and frequencies are fine around the synthesizer and audio circuits. I also recapped the radio and no change.
Does anyone have any ideas?
More importantly, does anyone have the sams photofacts for this radio, or a ge 3-5825a or hygain 2705, or ANY radio using the cybernet ptmb048aox board?

I'm pretty sure the Lafayette SSB-140 has the same board :unsure:

Can you post a photo - we might be able to recognize it...

Not all JC Penney radios were stuffed into photofacts...

See attached...

If they match up, the SSB Detect output is Q19 and is a 2SC945. So this radio should be an easy enuff to troubleshoot radio...

The Problem lies in the age of the chassis - it may need some TLC if the Electrolytic Caps dried out.

Does the TX track RX? This would be done thru the Mic - it has the Clarifier...

It can easily affect Squelch too...

Check to make sure the TX and RX stuff does work, there are several spots I see in the schematic that use Electrolytics and if they've expired will kill SSB and AM too - so If you have AM but not SSB in RX mode, it is my thoughts that the DC switch that should be constant 8V to the Clarifier in the Mic HANDSET is not followed thru - or wire opened up - killing the supply to keep the SSB OSC side working...

Attachments

• LafayetteSSB-140.png
    LafayetteSSB-140.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 37
  • LafayetteSSB-140Guts.png
    LafayetteSSB-140Guts.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 31
Last edited:
Hey andy good to see you back

I wanted to point out something...

(Don't worry, It's ok - I'm Punning myself here - Don't Panic!)

Think of this as a "How to Interpret Handy Andy's Run-On-Sentences..."

Check to make sure the TX and RX stuff does work, there are several spots I see in the schematic that use Electrolytics and if they've expired will kill SSB and AM too - so If you have AM but not SSB in RX mode, it is my thoughts that the DC switch that should be constant 8V to the Clarifier in the Mic HANDSET is not followed thru - or wire opened up - killing the supply to keep the SSB OSC side working...

This has gotten me into trouble before, but I wanted to show you a way to know how I think...

In the above "paragraph" I'm running thru a process of how I would look at a problem. This doesn't mean it's a fix, but a route to a possible solution.

1st, I'd check the RX/TX functions - in the JCP - it usually has some type of TX light which would indicate that your "On The Air" - so the poster does, so we can move on from there?

To a point yes, but RX voltage fails come from some different sources, one obviously is the RX/TX switching, another would be the buss feeder lines that power other parts of the radio that don't toggle on or off, but the Receiver gets power from these sub-sections along the way.

So, does the Meter light work? Does the lamp stay pretty much constant brightness?
Does adjusting the knobs, operating the Noise Blanker ANL - cause changes in brightness - these could indicate a power supply feeder line is "weighted" down by something pulling more current than usual.

Squelch controls and CB/PA switches can be intermittent - does the speaker "thunk" when you turn it on?

Squelch can "Stay on" killing your receiver because the AGC section treats SSB signals differently in RX mode - it's padded delay so you don't set your squelch too hard onto the noise floor and chop off the vowels despite the consonants.

Microphone wired up ok? I mean that? Yes! it can be the one you just used 3 months ago, well that doesn't mean the DPDT contacts always "stay contacted" with their respective terminals. Many of you may remember how the Grants and Cobra 148's used 2 types of Ground, one for speaker and another for the Mic element return - if one or the other failed you got quirky intermittent operation. So if the Mic cord is old or been overly stretched - well, we may be onto something of a broken wire onto internal break in the coiled cord.

Another portion of the Paragraph I mention Electrolytic, failure of these seems to be a CHRONIC problem these days - a quality issue. IF a cap fails, they may not show up until they're needed to absorb some type of spike or keep power supply filtration in tolerable ranges. Can put the radio asleep if they pull down the RX voltage lines to a point where Squelch "triggers" dues to the imbalance. SEE: SSB SQ adjust...

DC Switching - if you have AM but not SSB, does the receive send or route voltages properly in SSB mode?

It pays to know your history on a radio - for did the radio arrive working or was it used? Now sold, you got it, now this condition exists...Well, it could be something as simple as a mis-wired MODE switch. Someone wanted constant 8V to power the Clarifier but got lost when they wanted to deconvert it. Or worse, they removed an Echo board and didn't re-solder the power wires properly when they removed it...See MIC wiring and the Handset.

As you can see, with the complexity of radios and their component counts, the problems become exponential as to routes of simple failure turn onto a Freeway full of symptoms looking for the exit to the cascade of events - caused by age or previous work that was not completely done.

Ok, a quick Cliff - Notes Guide as to how I think...I just forget that others don't think like I do, so they get lost trying to figure out what I meant.

I was just trying to save bandwidth by not having to type all of the above and bore the reader...

All the best!
:+> Andy <+:

I wanted to point out something...

(Don't worry, It's ok - I'm Punning myself here - Don't Panic!)

Think of this as a "How to Interpret Handy Andy's Run-On-Sentences..."

This has gotten me into trouble before, but I wanted to show you a way to know how I think...

In the above "paragraph" I'm running thru a process of how I would look at a problem. This doesn't mean it's a fix, but a route to a possible solution.

1st, I'd check the RX/TX functions - in the JCP - it usually has some type of TX light which would indicate that your "On The Air" - so the poster does, so we can move on from there?

To a point yes, but RX voltage fails come from some different sources, one obviously is the RX/TX switching, another would be the buss feeder lines that power other parts of the radio that don't toggle on or off, but the Receiver gets power from these sub-sections along the way.

So, does the Meter light work? Does the lamp stay pretty much constant brightness?
Does adjusting the knobs, operating the Noise Blanker ANL - cause changes in brightness - these could indicate a power supply feeder line is "weighted" down by something pulling more current than usual.

Squelch controls and CB/PA switches can be intermittent - does the speaker "thunk" when you turn it on?

Squelch can "Stay on" killing your receiver because the AGC section treats SSB signals differently in RX mode - it's padded delay so you don't set your squelch too hard onto the noise floor and chop off the vowels despite the consonants.

Microphone wired up ok? I mean that? Yes! it can be the one you just used 3 months ago, well that doesn't mean the DPDT contacts always "stay contacted" with their respective terminals. Many of you may remember how the Grants and Cobra 148's used 2 types of Ground, one for speaker and another for the Mic element return - if one or the other failed you got quirky intermittent operation. So if the Mic cord is old or been overly stretched - well, we may be onto something of a broken wire onto internal break in the coiled cord.

Another portion of the Paragraph I mention Electrolytic, failure of these seems to be a CHRONIC problem these days - a quality issue. IF a cap fails, they may not show up until they're needed to absorb some type of spike or keep power supply filtration in tolerable ranges. Can put the radio asleep if they pull down the RX voltage lines to a point where Squelch "triggers" dues to the imbalance. SEE: SSB SQ adjust...

DC Switching - if you have AM but not SSB, does the receive send or route voltages properly in SSB mode?

It pays to know your history on a radio - for did the radio arrive working or was it used? Now sold, you got it, now this condition exists...Well, it could be something as simple as a mis-wired MODE switch. Someone wanted constant 8V to power the Clarifier but got lost when they wanted to deconvert it. Or worse, they removed an Echo board and didn't re-solder the power wires properly when they removed it...See MIC wiring and the Handset.

As you can see, with the complexity of radios and their component counts, the problems become exponential as to routes of simple failure turn onto a Freeway full of symptoms looking for the exit to the cascade of events - caused by age or previous work that was not completely done.

Ok, a quick Cliff - Notes Guide as to how I think...I just forget that others don't think like I do, so they get lost trying to figure out what I meant.

I was just trying to save bandwidth by not having to type all of the above and bore the reader...

All the best!
:+> Andy <+:
The radio has the same board as you pictured. I can upload a pic later but its the same, minus the swr meter and calibration. I bought it at a garage sale and AM works completely, usb/lsb transmits very well. It had a 8 watt dead key and swings 15 on AM, dead key of 4 and swings almost 20 on ssb. It has no different parts or mods but it was hit with a golden screwdriver. I get excellent reports on AM and sideband but when i receive on sideband usb or lsb it goes DEAD SILENT. no him, no noise, its like having a mute button. On AM it does S9 with a -120db signal at 30% modulation and its on frequency plus or minus 200hz. The transmit and receive lights work and it does not appear to draw too much current.
What I have done: turned deadkey down to 3 watts, replaced all electrolytics, verified frequencies in the synthesizer circuit.
What i have not done: any alignment or change the tantalums.
However, this thing receives AM and transmits better than my Tram D300.

I didnt want to go any further without photofacts because i dont want to make anything worse. I have read that the tantalums can have dead shorts so i have ordered those and will replace. Thanks to you i now have a set of voltages so i can run through the ssb block diagram and check voltages. This is my first cybernet and after watching "mikes radio repair" get a hard on for cybernets i want to fix it right.
The photofacts is CB-226.
I was either wanting to know if anyone had the same problem before on ANY radio or if anyone had the service manual or photofacts for any of the cybernet radios with this board.
However, after I change the tantalums i will use your schematic and check the voltages. Thanks for your responses!

Reactions: Woody-202 and Rwb
Ok! Good news...

Take your time...

We know the TX works on AM and SSB modes and quite well.

But the RX side goes "Dead"

You mention Golden Screwdriver too...(Sigh)

IT may just be anything from a simple Retune onto a full blown re-cap (replace all the polarized caps Tantalum, Electrolytic) and look for re-work. You would notice the "Shinny fresh solder" on some small spots, that don't look the same as all the other soldering pads - those are areas of concern....

I'd look into the PLL and it's VCO section as a good starting point - see if the AM side works and holds a "lock" thru all the channels Any dead spots might indicate another type of work done to the channel selector and you may have a deconverted radio meaning some work was done, you bought it used, and now you have to solve for X.

We're here if you get stuck...

What I heard about the was most are a Cybernet PLL02a chip. Made in Japan by Hitachi. Every JcPenney CB I have witnessed was very clean audio. Prices are outrageous recently. I would treat it like any other used radio and just offer what you this is reasonable depending on how much you want it in the collection. I know i am not saying anything you don't already know. Just trying to reaffirm what your thinking.

Reactions: Rwb and 144inBama
I was actually thinking about going around 70 bucks or so... I want it for the SSB

Attachments

• Screenshot 2020-09-23 180358.png
    Screenshot 2020-09-23 180358.png
    492.5 KB · Views: 13
  • Screenshot 2020-09-23 180417.png
    Screenshot 2020-09-23 180417.png
    585.1 KB · Views: 15
  • Screenshot 2020-09-23 180439.png
    Screenshot 2020-09-23 180439.png
    580.8 KB · Views: 9
  • Screenshot 2020-09-23 180456.png
    Screenshot 2020-09-23 180456.png