• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

JC Penny Pinto SSB 23 Channel

Palletburner

Mar 24, 2007
Snohomish, WA
I just got this radio for free off of craigslist, but it doesnt have a mic or powercord. The mic is a 4-pin, no problem, I have a bunch of those, but the powercord has 6 pins, and I believe this radio may have been for base and mobile since it says 120 DC and 12 AC on the back. Its only 23 channel, but has USB and LSB.

I was wondering if anybody could tell me what pins are used for the 120V so I could take the case open and wire in another cord, unless those 6pin power cords are easy to find. It'll be used inside the house for base, that is if it works.

Here is a picture I found online, but I couldnt find any information.

http://hamradiogallery.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_itemId=13199

I had one of those a very long time ago , it worked on 12 volts but it wouldn't work on the 120V side ( chances are the power supply in the radio for that might have went bad ?) You can just open the radio up and look at the 120V plug from the inside , you will more then likely only see 2 wires being used on the plug , that's where you can wire a 120V source plug. Good luck to you

How do I know what wires to use for the 120v though? There is just one big plug on the back.

Does anybody even sell a power cord like this anymore? I'll crack the thing open tomorrow and see whats inside of it.

cbplug.jpg

EDIT: I opened it up and I cant really tell what I should do. On the back side of the plug there is a circuit board with 6 spots, but only 3 of them have a soldered wire. The top 2 are thicker wire, one blue and one white, and the middle section has one smaller red wire. In order to take the backside of the plug out to trace the wires I'd have to take the whole big motherboard piece out to get to it, from what I can tell. I suppose a old freebie would be a good first time learning experiece for me, but I kind of want it to work when I get done :D I would'nt of picked it up if it didn't have the sidebands.

Palletburner said:
I just got this radio for free off of craigslist, but it doesnt have a mic or powercord. The mic is a 4-pin, no problem, I have a bunch of those, but the powercord has 6 pins, and I believe this radio may have been for base and mobile since it says 120 DC and 12 AC on the back. Its only 23 channel, but has USB and LSB.

I was wondering if anybody could tell me what pins are used for the 120V so I could take the case open and wire in another cord, unless those 6pin power cords are easy to find. It'll be used inside the house for base, that is if it works.

Here is a picture I found online, but I couldnt find any information.

http://hamradiogallery.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_itemId=13199

First, are you sure it says "120 DC" and "12 AC", or is that a double typo? "12 DC" and "120 AC" would make a lot more sense.

Second, the heavier wires on the inside SHOULD be for the DC side (less voltage = more current for the same power).

looks like the blue and white wire from your pictures going from the plug to the transformer ,hook them up to 120V and see if she fires up ? just becareful and don't electrocute yourself. If there's a fuse in the radio , make sure it's good. Lets us know .

I got it to power up 8) I took my 13.8vdc radio shack power supply and I got it to power up with this combo

O O+

O- O

O O

Bottom

I decided I better try it all with 13.8 volts first before 120. When I get my A99 and coax in the mail I'll test it out.

What are the odds an old radio like this will still work? I know the old 70's Panasonic I have has blown out finals but powered on, just no transmit or recieve.

Palletburner,
Just to see if the receiver is working, try plugging a wire of some kind (longer is better, but at least 3 - 4 feet) into the coax connector's center hole. Turn on radio, turn down the squelch, and adjust volume. On channel 19 you should at hear something, maybe just static, but something. Run through all the channels just for the 'heck' of it. Don't try to transmit! If the receiver is working, chances are the transmitter might too.
- 'Doc

She works! As far as I can tell. I powered it with the converter and ran an extension cord out to my truck and pluged the truck's antenna into the back of the radio. I parked my other truck about 20 feet away and cranked the volume on each one and its transmitting and recieving, although I couldn't get anybody to talk back to me for a radio check. It might not of been working well since I was using the house's power and the truck's antenna and the radio wasnt grounded to the truck? As soon as my A99 comes in the mail I'll hook it up to that and see what it does.

Also, on the back of the radio it says 30 watts. I'm assuming that is just for the sidebands and it has 4watts am? All the screws that hold the case together are almost stripped, somebody has definatly had it open before.

I think the 30 watts is referring to the ac power transformer .....something along those lines. Congrats on the hook up dude , you sound very happy about it ! Good for you !! Man ! It's been a long time since I've been excited about any of this stuff :cry: but it sure is good to hear you are. I think you will be very pleased once you get your A99 up and working. keep us post us dude .

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.