• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

JCD-201M ???? blame this thread on AK295 . ;)

B

BOOTY MONSTER

someone , who shall remain nameless , seems really happy with their JCD-201M . hehe
i was wondering if other folks have tried this mic or others made by the same company and would share their opinions of it .

50 looks and no replies . i guess AK is the only one familiar with it .
i did find a pretty long thread on it at copper's and a few shorter ones too ........ but its copper and 808 is leading the band wagon . normally i wouldnt consider it with 808 pimping it , but i think AK295 is a pretty honest and smart fella .

I have been wondering about this mic also. I read the same reviews on Coppers site. The one seems real biased, like he works for Copper. I need too hear a few more reviews before I get interested.

MFJ has a few similar looking mics , this seems to be their top of the line model .
MFJ Enterprises Inc.
$99.95
R&L has it for $89.95 and copper sells a 4 or 5 or 6 pin adapter for $10
http://www.rlham.com/cgi-bin/shop/modellookup.dbw?MODEL=MFJ299
according to 808 the one copper the sells are special made according coppers design changes . i would imagine what if any design changes were trivial at best given coppers and 808 reputation away from the copper site .

anyhow ... anyone have any experience or comments on MFJ mics ?
http://www.mfjenterprises.com/pictures/MFJ-299.jpg
heres 6 reviews on it . 5 liked it 6 didnt . could be one was confused by the controlls and didnt like it , or the other 5 wouldnt know a good mic if it was shoved up their butt . LOL , anyhow here they are .
http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/4648
heres a PDF manual for it .
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/rg4wpw/mfj299.pdf
seems to use a computer LAN/network connector . can this be wired to a 4 or 5 pin cb radio ?

Last edited by a moderator:
looking at the features and general appearance of the jcd it looks like another adonis clone,
adonis mics are found with several different names on them, a friend told me they are all badge engineered by nissie,
i have owned almost all the different models over the years including the eq version same as the mfj in the link and the old eq version,

they all use electronic ptt not a regular switch, some have two or three cables so you can have more than one radio hooked up and switch between them,
the higher end models have timeout timers that beep after about 2.5 minutes to remind you the radio is keyed,
when the batteries are getting low the mic will unkey the radio when the TOT activates,
the adonis compressor works ok for an audio based device, more punch than the flacid pumpy sound of the kenwood mc85 but you cannot turn the compression off completely which would be a bonus,

my favourites are the none compressor versions. imho and most other peoples opinion they sound better for less money,
next up would be the compressor mics and least favourite would be the eq with compressor versions, you can fiddle with the eq all day and not get the sound you like, not enough bands on the eq,

imho the fm tone setting is a bit bass heavy on many radios for my ears but not woolley, the ssb setting switches in a smaller value series capacitor to remove bass making it thin sounding, both can be altered with a couple of capacitor changes,
the eq mics EAT batteries if you dont power them from the radio,

for local ragchewing or dx in the clear the adonis/clone mics are one of the better and most pupular base mics available at sensible cost in the uk,
for busting pileups/noisy difficult conditions they are no match for a decent rf speech processor.

in onair tests at distance my old datong automatic rf speech processor set at a low 6db compression is perfectly readable when the adonis mics on any setting are difficult or impossible to understand,

only you know what you want from a mic.

Reactions: tecnicoloco
No Copper Pimp here , lol. And yes it is similar to a few others out there. As 808 said, they had them revised to some users specs after getting to demo them for awhile and then the changes were made to try to make everyone happy. And like Bob85 said, this one does have the auto time out on the keylock and you can turn the compression off.
Really I just like it because I can hook both cables to my S9, looks more impressive to my friends, oops, friend!, lol (J/K)

im nostly interested in the DM502B now as far as this line is concern .
so JCD makes these for copper and workman and MFJ , but the copper ones really are different/better ?
its not just 808 shooting his regular line of crap ?
is that correct ?

im nostly interested in the DM502B now as far as this line is concern .
so JCD makes these for copper and workman and MFJ , but the copper ones really are different/better ?
its not just 808 shooting his regular line of crap ?
is that correct ?

If it came from 808, I'd take the info with a grain of salt (or two). I don't believe that the JCD was changed for Copper. That's silly.

yes correct, that line came from 808, so who knows, lol.
I do know I like the mic and I'm very happy with it, although the 502 is less expensive.
Also I like the dual outputs, Compression Hi/low and well the mic says manual, but it should say OFF, and the ssb/fm mode, then the manual gain control when your not running the compression, and the meter ! gotta have more meters on the table :) lol

I'd buy a 502 just to try it, and i might just do it anyways although i shouldn't lol. Just bought more crap I really didn't need but this addiction has the best of me.

I always thought that guy was a bit of a salesman. Every item copper sells is given a big thumbs up by that tech. When I read a review there on the silver salute being easily as good as a d104 I had to really reconsider.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.