• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Jcpenny 6218

Jhall

Oct 28, 2018
Looking for info on jcpenny 6218 I inherited years from my grandfather it’s been put up for years and just brought it back out it’s a really good working radio wanting to peak and tune I’ve been told years ago they have a lot of internal adjustment. Looking for any info on this model haven’t been able to find anything.thanks

Thanks can find some info on jcpenny base models but that’s the only thing I’ve seen on the 6218 must not have been very popular

Should the board on it have any jumpers on it from the factory or is that something that has been done ?

Single-sided circuit boards like that one will frequently have jumpers of bare wire visible on the component side.

They serve to let a circuit "jump over" foil conductors on the solder side. This used to be cheaper than using a circuit board that's "double-sided", with foil traces on the top and bottom side, both.

Odds are that the wire jumpers you see are part of the factory design.

most of that could be stock from that time frame. I would not do any thing to those parts untill you get a service manual to check it out.you start removing items and you may have a dead radio. the only thing I would wonder about is the wiring as how it is done. the old tape looks normal for that error.even the old resister.

Looks like the kind of production-change mods done on the factory assembly line. As a rule, any part with plastic sleeve protecting it or the bare lead wires is probably factory.

Don't see a lot of techs that go to that trouble. Those that do tend to use heat-shrink tubing rather than the plain plastic sleeves you see here.

But it does look to have some work done to the TX/RX lites for the front panel...that may be from - well, how old am I? ;) ...sad to say that but it's been Long in the Tooth since JP Penney put up even an MCS unit.

I wan going to mess with anything on it was just curious as to what had been. It’s from late 60s early 70s it’s been sitting in my shop since the late 80s. Took the cover off blew the dust out of it and everything works perfect. Receives and transmits great.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?