• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Johnson Messenger

Watergate

Apr 11, 2011
I don't know a whole lot about the old base stations, but I've been toying with the idea of picking one up to play with.

I keep seeing these Messenger radios pop up on the local classified ads. Now there is one listed with an old car mount cell phone for $75 dollars. Its a Johnson Messenger 124-m. I'm thinking I could talk the guy down on the price by buying the radio only.

My question is, is it worth buying for about $50 not knowing if it works or not? Is the repair on one of these going to be a massive scavenger hunt for expensive parts? And are these good radios in general?

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

No, it's not worth it. I pick up those old messengers for $5 at garage sales or on craigslist.

Most of the time they will still RX and TX but the crystals often need replacement.

They don't do much for output. They can however sound very good on the air if you talk on the bowl but a lot of it is matching them up with the right microphone.

$50 - no way.

That's what I needed to know. Thank you. I have heard about them being popular on the bowl, and the Sir-Mix-A-Lot song about them, but I'm not one for the bowl. I'm not back quiet after every sentence.

The Johnson that you are thinking about is a a big brown monster that weigh`s about 80 Lbs* ( in the Song Big Johnson "70 lbs of do do brown, heavy sound, loud as hell, your big boss got down" ) called a Johnson Viking Valiant , built from 1955 to about 1962.
these radios would cover 160 thru 10 meters ( including 11 meters) and sounded very nice on AM mode.
Now if you find one of that model for $50 in good condition and working , let me know.

Most CB Johnson`s are Not bad radio`s, and you will see collectors pay a good price for them if they are in good shape and working.
Good price to me is $40 to $60 bucks if it is in collector condition, but some guys just have a passion for old tube radios, and will pay more.
The Johnson Messenger 223
The Black Face Johnson
The White Face Johnson
all old tube type 23channel or less radios.
Some had 8 channels TX controlled by Crystals with a 23 channel RX
Might be good for 6 to 8 watts....10 if you got a hot one with a good output tube.
For the everyday user, not so much.
E-Bay tends to drive the price of these radio up, but Like Cb Man has said, if you dig around, you can find working ones on craigslist or at yard sales in the $5 to $25 dollar range.
The first Johnson Black face I had came free with a D104.
The guy sold me the Mic for $15 dollars and the radio was attached to it.....

Jeff

Attachments

• radio_Johnson_Viking_Valiant_03nov2007.jpg
    radio_Johnson_Viking_Valiant_03nov2007.jpg
    121 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
So the Viking Valiant is the big ol' Johnson that the ladies love according to Mix?

This 124-m isn't even a tube radio. So I think I'll keep watching for something different to play with.

Thanks guys.

I don't know a whole lot about the old base stations, but I've been toying with the idea of picking one up to play with.

I keep seeing these Messenger radios pop up on the local classified ads. Now there is one listed with an old car mount cell phone for $75 dollars. Its a Johnson Messenger 124-m. I'm thinking I could talk the guy down on the price by buying the radio only.

My question is, is it worth buying for about $50 not knowing if it works or not? Is the repair on one of these going to be a massive scavenger hunt for expensive parts? And are these good radios in general?

75.00??????? yeah and ill bet he wont go down on it. Most people that dont have a clue about this stuff ask high prices and they THINK they can get that out of it.....

Reactions: 11me8up
Most of the Johnson Messengers I've seen weren't going for very big dollars. I have seen many on ebay go for under 20 bucks. I have two Jonsons. I have a 4320 and a 123. I had the 4320 set up in my son's room. It talks pretty good. I like the audio on it. I will say that the ears are pretty small on them though.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.