• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

JT-400 Coax

RCIGuy

Jan 16, 2023
Anyone using it? JT-400 (LL400-BTF) Ive got 50' comin to replace a run of LMR-400, they say its supposed to the same if not better than the LMR and its about 1/2 the cost. Will be a spring project so ill have to wait a bit to be able to compare the 2.

I am using JEFA Tech low loss 400 coax. I don't know compared to Times LMR400 because I have never used 400 type coax ever. I used the JEFA Tech to replace an old run of RG213.

Mine came with nickel/silver PL-259 that had been crimped on the coax side, and soldered on the contact side. Seemed to be good quality.

But I replaced them with Amphenol silver/silver and crimp/crimp. Yes I crimped the contact too. Amphenol 182130-10 are optimized for 400 type coax. The center conductor crimps at .118.

Last edited:
Yes, SOLDER/CRIMP only is the way to go. Soldered tip for the center conductor and crimp the shield and use silver/teflon connectors.

On larger RG8 size coax the 5 sided crimp on the braided shield is rock solid provided you use ratcheting crimpers and the correct die. Soldering the tip is easy and ensures a good electrical connection.

Many pre-made cables like from DXEngineering and ABR have gone to solder/crimp because it is faster and a more consistent assembling

I don't prefer it on smaller RG8x size cables because being smaller it isn't as tight of a crimp connection like bigger coax.

My solution to that is I use RG8 coax for short jumper cables because it is flexible enough at short lengths and I was using RG213 for the long runs on HF.

However, I just replaced the my long run to my new HF 5 band Beam. I'm feeding the antenna from a ground rod mounted PolyPhaser static arrestor with 67 feet of 1/2 inch Heliax hardline and a 15 ft run of 3/8 superflex heliax from the other end of the PolyPhaser to my tuner in the shack because I want the best for this antenna!

I ordered this coax online from the Antenna Farn who will make custom lengths and install these special types of coax connections for hardline.

I'm using all N connectors for a more weather tight and better electrical connection that doesn't rely on the torque required like using pl259's.

This is the crimp tool I use with a second set of dies for the 8x. Bought it a few years back and from this same source. I've bought all the crimp connectors from him too and they've yet to let me down. Silver/Teflon crimp and solder.

This is the crimp tool I use with a second set of dies for the 8x. Bought it a few years back and from this same source. I've bought all the crimp connectors from him too and they've yet to let me down. Silver/Teflon crimp and solder.

I have essentially the same tool with the Anderson Pole jaws, and solder-less connector jaws. Very versatile tool and built well.

Reactions: Eldorado828
Here's the 1/2 inch Heliax hard line and 3/8 inch superflex with N connections I just installed today.

The 1/2 inch is a bit of a "hard line" to work with being stiff but once it's straighten out it can be manipulated into place.

The shorter piece of 3/8 inch superflex was much easier. This was an ideal choice for the run from the polyphaser outside to the tuner in the shack.

Surprisingly, the dB loss spec's at 100' is actually better on 1/2 inch hardline than 7/8 (not that a few factions of a percentage means much) but the main difference is 7/8 can handle 91Kw where the 1/2 inch only ( LOL ) handles 45Kw.

Now I can sleep better knowing I have the best coax for my station…LOL!

20230204_012924.jpg

That's a good price for that crimping tool. Mine cost me that about 15 years ago and I see many of them now for double that price and even more.

I have essentially the same tool with the Anderson Pole jaws, and solder-less connector jaws. Very versatile tool and built well.
It's a nice tool, I didn't get the Anderson die though. I know crimped Andersons are fine but the odc still has me soldering them.
That's a good price for that crimping tool. Mine cost me that about 15 years ago and I see many of them now for double that price and even more.
Got it from that seller above 3 or 4 years ago and has made life much easier. I do use it on 8x with marine grade heat shrink that has the adhesive inside, they've held well on mobile installs.

For any of my installs I don't think solder/solder amphenols will ever be needed again, but do have them just in case. Crimp solder is the way to go.

Reactions: Smokinone

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated