• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Just an update, its been a while...

Sniper308

Mar 13, 2013
Columbia, SC
Its been a long time since Ive posted here although I have been lurking around looking at a few posts. I returned to the CB hobby about a year ago and had some equipment issues. The members here were very helpful and provided a lot of great advice. Some of you might remember one of my largest problems was a super bad SWR on a Ranger RHF-618 pushing aTexas Star DX 500v on a Imax antenna. To be honest, this was almost a hobby ending experience for me. I was really starting to loose interest as I kept spending more and more money to make things work only to have them be worse off than before. First I sent the amp back. Some poor adjustments/tweeks were made. The situation only got worse. Then I sent the radio off. No problems were found with it. It took about 2 months but I was finally able to rectify the problem by having the seller of the amp replace it with a new one. The new amp worked great with no SWR issues. Things were starting to look up.

Shortly after the SWR issue, I faced my next potentially hobby ending challenge. I live in a sub-division with a home owners association. Evedently I was comming through the computer speakers of one of my neighbors. He promptly complained to the HOA who wanted me to take down my antenna and cease raidio broadcasting. I fought the HOA and won the right to keep my radio and antenna largely due to FCC rules which actually worked in my favor. I recieved notification that the antenna had been approved by the HOA a few days ago. I celebrated by buying another radio/amp/antenna combo which I promptly set up. I guess my neighbor will just have to suck it up lol.

I just thought I'd pop in and update my status and post a few pics of my systems. I've been working hard the past few days getting things back in line again. I have been enjoying the hobby again. Take note of the cabinet I made to mount my amps in. It's something I made myself and I think it turned out really well. It was very easy to make. It is also very cheap since it is made entirely from plastic egg crate, zip ties, and spray paint. It has a 6" computer fan mounted on the back which cools both amps simultaneously.

So to recap, my current systems are as follow.....

Ranger RHF-618
Texas Star DX 500v w/ pre-amp and delay
WM-1 Computing SWR/Power meter
DF 3000 low pass filter
I-MAX antenna (30 ft to feed point)
1.0 SWR without amp 1.3 SWR with amp

Galaxy DX2547
Texas Star DX 350 HDV w/ pre-amp and delay
Astatic 600 SWR/Power/Modulation meter
DF 3000 low pass filter
108" Whip antenna with ground plane (30 ft to feed point)
1.0 SWR without amp 1.3 SWR with amp

Mobile System.....
CRE 8900
Fat Boy 400w competition amp
108" Whip Antenna

And now for the pics.......

Last edited:

You live in a homeowners association - and are still running an amp?!?

Do what you want; but after winning the right to have an antenna up, I surely wouldn't push my luck by running an amp! LOL! Sure/OK in the mobile - not a real problem so long as you don't transmit in your HOA.

The FCC is beginning to make their rounds. Some guys on the forum have already been visited. Be careful that someone doesn't complain about getting interference from your station - and tell the FCC! The FCC won't be as kind or accommodating as your HOA is . . .

Congrats on your return to the forum.

Last edited:
Welcome Back to the Forum.

If you have time, can you give us a short review of the RHF-618?

Not a lot of feedback on the Ranger base station on the Net.

Jeff

Last edited:
Glad to hear your back. I agree with others here that you are pushing your luck with running power. I live in a historical homes community and had/have to fight for my radio use also, I wouldn't think of running power due to more headaches than I currently have. My mobile will have power when I set it up but won't be used in my home area and will only be like 200 watts.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.