• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Just picked up a Cobra 138XLR....check this out

Walkin' the dog
Sep 12, 2009
Chilliwack, BC
www.youtube.com
I'm just taking it apart to clean it and replace the meter light and touch up the faded meter.
Look at those WW2 submarine relays...they are a gold colored metal can, anyone seen that before?
It has a stock appearance till you plug a dummy jack in the PA jack then the CB/PA and NB/ANL switches go from stock operation to "modded".
Pretty stealth.

Compared to my 449 this radio is really well built, it puts out a full 20W no sweat and even has a power choke on the speaker plate.
First 858 Cobra I ever had.

I'll be putting the 449 on CL and using this for now on I think, it is just better built thats for sure.

IMG_0883.JPG IMG_0884.JPG IMG_0885.JPG IMG_0886.JPG IMG_0887.JPG

Reactions: James ara

I found very little info on those relays, they are for airplanes.

CARRIERE AND MACFEETERS, LTD.
,51 Front St.E.,Toronto.

Overhaul and repair of aircraft electrical accessories and telecommunications equipment.
Contractors to Dept. of Defense Production and commercial aviation companies, employing
75 people and covering 15,000 sqft plant space

Since the company's formation in 1948, production has increased by at least 50 percent each year

Well I deep 6'd the WW2 relays, maybe tin whiskers in it who knows but when switching the "extras" on and off the s-meter would refuse to move till I keyed up and whistled.
I didn't like that so I wired pin 21 to the NB/ANL switch via a 1n914 and did pin 17(41-45) switch down and pin 19(45-80) switch up with normal in the middle.

I managed to finesse a 29xlr NB/ANL switch into the CB/PA slot without touching the faceplate, I just used my soldering iron to carve the plastic shaft down a bit to clear the square hole in the metal chassis, it goes up/down 10KC.

I also added a pull-out switch pot on the rf gain for the NB-pull out is off.

Now I have the same coverage but without the s-meter bug that that old mod was doing.
Looking at the pictures it looks kinda nasty, but I triple checked it and its solid....maybe my 30W iron is too hot.

IMG_0905.JPG IMG_0907.JPG IMG_0908.JPG IMG_0909.JPG

Great radio. I like the tone control. Mine shows some usage, but still works like a champ(y)(y)(y)

oQK5yQG.jpg

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    BLACKOUT HF
  • @ BJ radionut:
    I am beginning the packing process...XENIA bound Going "Lite": this year....2 items for sale...Rig #1 = FT-920/Gud to Ex condition/Hand Mike/pwr cord/manual (NO BOX) ... #2 = My 1 owner FT-950....EX condition...Original Shipping Double Box/Factory Manual/Never used hand mike...Booths 9107-9111...Ya'al come by say hello...
  • @ BJ radionut:
    Incoming Region Produces X3 Solar Flare
    May 15, 2024 @ 14:55 UTC
    Another major solar flare, but this time from an active region just beginning to turn into view off the east limb. It is possible that the group responsible is old AR 3654 from the previous rotation. The latest flare, an X2.99 event just peaked at 14:38 UTC (May 15). Stay tuned