• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Just picked up a old Texas Star DX667v

jtrouter

Jul 7, 2015
So as the title says i just picked up a old Texas Star dx667v and i have a nice new 150amp variable power supply. My question is what voltage should i run it at? If it matters it uses non red dot toshiba's and it seems to run without any problems. It does have a 120mm fan kit installed under it. As of now it has the original wires powering it but soon i would like to do a replacement of those power wires and also replace the stock fuse setup as i understand that a area of concern. So i can set voltage from 12.30 volts up thru 15.90. I am not looking to squeeze every last watt out of it and plan to pair it to a non "tweaked" Cobra 2000 and to a non "tweaked" Cobra 148.
Please advise as i would like this to last a long time.
Thank you all.

• Haha
Reactions: groundwire

Well, it may have been designed for 13.8 volts, but it is a mobile amplifier.
Very rarely does a mobile alternator electrical system operate at 13.8v.
Most will operate at 14v to 14.5v......
So operating this amplifier at 14v on a power supply is perfectly fine and it will last for years and years. 2 tenths of a volt more will not be a detriment to this amp at all.

Well, it may have been designed for 13.8 volts, but it is a mobile amplifier.
Very rarely does a mobile alternator electrical system operate at 13.8v.
Most will operate at 14v to 14.5v......
So operating this amplifier at 14v on a power supply is perfectly fine and it will last for years and years. 2 tenths of a volt more will not be a detriment to this amp at all.
Hahaha, nitpicking. 13.8vdc, 14vdc same damn thing. He gets the point.

Last edited:
Set the dead key of the radio with the amp on so that you see the output dead key of the amp on full power to ¼ of the swing. The amp will run well, sound good and live forever.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.