1. You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.
    Dismiss Notice

Just starting

Discussion in 'Scanning & Shortwave Listening' started by F-STOP, Dec 20, 2016.

1. F-STOP

F-STOP New Member

Seriously, all I have is a wall plug with 110v. I want to start listening AM/FM SW up to SSB. I have read articles on Grundig Eton, Kaito (?), Degean (?), Tecsun and a few others. Looking to buy (used) $150-200 portable unit that pulls it in nice and clean. Ultimately I will want to get my license and broadcast later. OK that is it, help.........over.

2. 543_Dallas

543_Dallas Sr. Member

The SDR Play is a hell of a receiver and a new one is around $130. It may not be your style but I thought it was worth mentioning.

3. F-STOP

F-STOP New Member

Thanx, all advice is appreciated. I will check it out.

4. 2RT307

2RT307 Sr. Member

County Comm has a pretty cool portable receiver
    https://countycomm.com/collections/radio

As 543_Dallas mentioned, the Rsp-1 from SDRplay is a slick unit. I have one, and it works great. You will need a computer or tablet to make it work. Free software out there for PC's, and the android based tablets can use SDR Touch, which costs around 10 bucks.

Another decent sdr is the Soft66. I think the manufacturer quit making them, but have seen some new units for sale on eBay. It does HF/VHF/UHF, and sells for around 60 bucks.

Brett

5. F-STOP

F-STOP New Member

Ok an SDR is not what I am looking for. I may want one later but for now a Grundig 4000A, G5, YB400, or similar. I only know these radios by what I have read. I am not set on any of them. What I want is the best for around $150 or so.

6. BJ radionut

BJ radionut Supporting Member

7. F-STOP

F-STOP New Member

Great post BJ. Just what I needed. I am looking in the $150-$200 range. It must have SSB and it can be used. :D

8. Robb

Robb Yup

Even for SWL the antenna you build and install will be as pivotal - if not more so - that the radio you choose . . .

What is you plan there?

9. F-STOP

F-STOP New Member

Robb, no plan. I've got the cart before the horse. Never thought about an antenna. What I want to start with is a portable AM/FM SW SSB. I am looking at Sangean and Sony.

10. Robb

Robb Yup

As stated before; the SDR radio dongle and a laptop would be an excellent choice - IMO.

For an antenna, a 9:1 balun and long wire would get you up and running in quick order.

11. F-STOP

F-STOP New Member

I may get a grundig G3 / G5 or a Sangean ATS 505 or the Sony 7600GR all have SSB. Have no idea what a "balun and long wire" is for an antenna. When I get the receiver I will have figured that out. Thanx

12. StrangeBrew

StrangeBrew Well-Known Member

I can't read minds so take this with a grain of salt but I'm thinking that what F-STOP is looking for is something self contained that has a telescoping antenna built in, anything that requires being set up or installed probably doesn't meet his definition of portable.

Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong F-STOP.

PS: I know that link wasn't for me BJ but I'm going to save it anyway.;)

13. Robb

Robb Yup

Yeah, you are probably right. Just hope he doesn't get too disappointed with his results.

#13 Robb, Dec 21, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2016
  14. 2RT307

2RT307 Sr. Member

15. F-STOP

F-STOP New Member

This antenna thing is new to me, never thought about it. Yes I want portable, not a base station. However At home I want the best reception. So I need to look into a long wire antenna.One thing about myself is I research the hell out of everything I invest in. I know I can get into SWL for $300. So now I have a good idea of the type receiver I want, time to focus on an antenna that will bring the best out of the receiver. I am up for building an antenna.