• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Just traded my 746 Pro for a New TS-2000

KG0MN

W9WDX Amateur Radio Club Member
Mar 5, 2010
I will give you the reports and my opinions after I have run it for a while. I worked a 10 meter opening last night and got great reports running 100 watts and then turned on the amp and was told I was broadcast quality. Love that for starters.

I've loved my 746 Pro, but the TS-2000 does have some really neat features. Have you tried crossband repeat or sky command (if you have a compatible HT?). There are things I like better on the Icom, but I'd like to hear your thoughts on the TS-2000

I really enjoy my TS-2000, but not having had another rig like the 746 series I have nothing to really make a comparison in order to post a worthwhile review. My prior HF rigs were a TS430S and a TS50S. I don't have a HT (yet) to try the sky command with. I did however have a QSO awhile back with a guy in NYC who was using the sky command with his TS2000. He was walking his dog in Central Park and having a QSO with me and another op on 40 meters. That was so Kewl.(y) I use HRD to control many of the features on my rig and I really like the Band Scope available with the HRD software to check a band for activity. I like the ability to click on a peak on the screen and see whats going on at that frequency. Its been a great rig for me so far. I'm still on the learning curve with HRD and the rig too. Hope to catch you guys on the band sometime.(y)

Wayne C.

I have been in the market for a new ALL BAND ALL MODE rig. I have joined the Yahoo groups on this radio and read threads on many other web sites. I have read that in the older serial numbered models that there is a problem w the RX( high noise floors). I believe this has been fixed with the newer built models ( new serial #s). I want to buy this radio but i am afraid i may buy one with an older serial number.

With that said, I am curious as to how yours is working in the coming months. I wish you luck with your new radio.

About two and a half years ago, I was in the market (in other words, had the funds) for a new rig. My only other HF rigs (and only rigs I've ever laid hands on) were an Icom IC-707 and an IC-728. I had narrowed my choices down to the IC-7000 or the TS-2000. I had spent a couple of months reading reviews, the manuals, service manuals, mods, message boards -- the works. I went in very well informed.

I liked both for what my needs are. If I went with the IC-7000 (along with the need of new power supply as well) -- I'd have a bit leftover for sinking into antennas. Or the Kenwood -- and worry about antenna makings somewhere down the line.

Went to the bank, got ample cash in hand and drive down to my local HRO for an actual hands-on with both rigs. I WAS walking out of there with a new HF setup. Of ALL the things -- the single deciding factor (that had never even crossed my mind to consider) was the finger-dimple-thing on the VFO knob. I grow my index fingernails a little long since I deal a LOT with older hard drives and moving jumpers around as frequently as I do, it just makes sense (and is a lot faster) to just use my fingernail.

The VFO knob on the Kenwood had my fingernail scraping that metal and sending voracious chills down my spine. The feel of that was simply horrid to me.

Icom has a much better 'dimple'... at least in my opinion.

**EDIT** -- somewhat back on topic... I absolutely love my IC-7000. Despite the dimple thing, I believe I made the right choice for what I do. I spend about 95% of my time scanning/RX'ing -- and the receiver in the IC-7000 along with the ungodly amount of filtering available is just perfect for me. I operated a special event station last October. I had to go back home and get some gloves just to be able to operate the TS-2000's there.

Last edited:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.