• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

k u techs

CDX197

Apr 2, 2005
Nebraska's cornfields
K guys i want to try something here and see if it would ever be possible. I have a cobra 29 LTD classic and im wanting to know if i could ever have Sideband installed it in? I have never seen a 29 with sideband in it but i was wanting to know if it would work. I know i can have extra channels added but i want to know if i could have sideband installed. What you think???

can you? Yes

Should you? no

it would be easier and cheaper to just buy a SSB radio.

I might suggest a Galaxy 959.

Installing SSB on a Cobra 29?

Way too many things missing from an AM-only radio that are needed for SSB transmit and receive.

Not just a 'conversion' issue, but the block diagram for a SSB transceiver contains whole sections not found (or needed) in AM-only radios. It would be a whole lot like building a radio from scratch.

There was a kit for adding FM to radios that didn't come with it some years back. It added the missing functions to modulate the transmitter, and contained a FM detector chip for the receiver. An SSB conversion would be a lot more complex. Wouldn't just fit on a small "conversion" board like the FM kit.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?