• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

k40 intermittant

kc8adu

Jan 5, 2010
well the k40 i trimmed for 10m went intermittant.signal comes and goes with the swaying of the whip.anyone fix one yet?looks to be sealed for life.its not in the mount either.
did i burn it up with 100w from the ic-706?
i remember these CLAIMING 1000w.
we know how those claims go.

Sounds like a bad coax connection inside the mag base to me. You may well have to take it apart and trim/re-solder that joint.

There is also a disc capacitor in that mag base too. Used to give the antenna a better broadband use. I've had that cap open up when applying around 200 watts/less into it. But the cap failure won't make the antenna intermittent. The cap failure will cause the antenna to have a narrow band range/poor SWR.

Gave the two K40's I had away . . .

Also make sure you're getting a solid engagement between the top portion and their 3 prong metal attachment thingy. I think they put some conductive grease on there too.

Power wise - they should be able to handle 100 watts but I don't recommend them to anyone for use with amps or high power radios, best for barefoot setups.

P1010015%20%28Small%29.JPG

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.