• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Kenwood 850S Microphone wiring

longhaireddwb

W9WDX Amateur Radio Club Member
Oct 8, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
I just bought a Kenwood 850S HF radio (hopefully my last HF rig for a long time).

I also just happen to have a Icom SM-8 Microphone.

I want to match the two together but I'm not having much luck trying to find the proper way to wire this up. I think that there is a pin that has voltage in the Kenwood so I don't want to make any mistakes.

Can anyone help me make the two work together?
Send me some proper instructions on how to wire these together.

Or maybe they shouldn't go together because of some reason I dont know about please tell me.

Thanks for your help with this.

Hello:

This is a copy of the SM-8 and Kenwood Connectors.

73 de Tecnicoloco

Attachments

• Icom SM-8 Schematic.pdf
    71.6 KB · Views: 348
  • KenWood connectors.pdf
    283.4 KB · Views: 558
On the icom mic, would "mic in" (pin 1) be the audio?
And I cant make out pins 7 and 3.

And on the kenwood would I just connect pins 7 and 8 together?

So here's what I make of this info. Tell me im AFU if I am.

radio pins 7 and 8 go to mic pin #6
Radio pin 1 goes to mic pin 1
Radio pin 5 to mic pin 2
radio 2 to mic pin 5

Help me figure out the rest of the story and correct me if I'm wrong.

I keep finding more and more info on this but the bad thing is none of it has the same pin out. One will say the Kenwood ground pin is 8 another one says 7. Icom says mic ground pin is 7 and another says 6.

And why do you need a wire going to the ext. speaker. whats with that?\\

I understand the standard cobra 4 and 5 pin setups and a few other CB mic pin layouts but whats with all this.:sad:

Someone help me figure this out.

I keep finding more and more info on this but the bad thing is none of it has the same pin out. One will say the Kenwood ground pin is 8 another one says 7. Icom says mic ground pin is 7 and another says 6.

And why do you need a wire going to the ext. speaker. whats with that?\\

I understand the standard cobra 4 and 5 pin setups and a few other CB mic pin layouts but whats with all this.:sad:

Someone help me figure this out.

There is no such connection on the microphone jack. The external speaker connection is on the auxiliary jack. The audio connection (RX audio) on the microphone jack is there to connect to a headset mic and is wired to the headphone portion. This is the data for the microphone jack for the TS-850S.

Pin 1- mic audio in to radio
Pin 2-PTT
Pin 3-Down
Pin 4-Up
Pin 5-8 volts DC
Pin 6-RX audio
Pin 7 mic ground
Pin 8- Chassis ground

On the Icom mic the pins are:

Pin 1-mic audio
Pin 2-8 volts
Pin 3-Up/Down the Icom uses the same pin for this function whereas Kenwood uses two different pins. This means the Up/Down function may not be useable with the TS-850S
Pin 4- Not used
Pin 5-PTT
Pin 6-Chassis ground
Pin 7-Mic ground
Pin 8-Not used

Now just match up the corresponding pins between the mic and the radio.

Thanks Captain!

Thanks what I wanted. Some of this looks like what I found.

I think just to be safe I will find the pin with the 8 volts DC on the radio and confirm it with a meter and then go for it. I'm hoping as long as I got that correct I wont be blowing anything up even if I'm wrong about something.

Thanks again. I'll let you know how it worked out.

After rewiring the microphone using the info that the Captain gave me, and double checking for the 8 VDC pin in the mic jack (it was where he said it was) I gave it a test.

I was told that the factory hand mic that came with the radio sounded better. :censored:
Well, I guess I need to look around for a desk mic made for Kenwood radios and not an Icom.
It was worth the try. I will wire it back the way it was and put it up for sale. If anyone is interested in a trade or is looking for a great Icom mic let me know.

BTW, What would you all suggest for a great audio mic on the station? I'd like to keep the cost below 200 because I want to get an antenna also and get off the wire.

Here's some possitive feedback for the Captain for helping me out!(y)

Glad the info helped out even if the end result was not what you were looking for. In all honesty most stock microphones work quite well with modern radios. Know of anyone with a Kenwood MC-50 or MC-60 microphone you could borrow? They were made some year ago back when the TS-820 and 830's were built and sound great on the older Kenwoods. Not sure how they would sound on the newer series of radios however. You just have to watch what impedance you have selected for your radio that's all. Either HIGH or LOW. The MC-60 had a switch I believe and the MC-50 changed impedance by reversing the connecting cable in the jack on the back of the mic. You just turned the plug over to change impedances.I tend to shy away from any amplified mic nowadays as most radios have more than enough gain in their mic circuits to be able to handle most anything.

Kenwood TS-850 mics and other stuff

Kenwood recommended either the Kenwood MC-60A or the MC-80 desk microphones for many of their solid state rigs, including the TS-450/690, TS-850 and TS-950 series. (If you have the owner's manual, check in the back and it'll list all the compatible accessories.)

It's still possible to buy the MC-60A brand new from some distributors:

Kenwood MC-60A Desk Microphone, Kenwood MC60 mic

As Captain Kilowatt noted, there's an impedance selection switch on this mic to select between 50Kohms and 500 ohms. For the TS-850, you'll want 500 ohms.

I happen to also have a Kenwood TS-850 and an MC-60A mic, and the combination works fine.

You're not the only one who's had trouble trying to get an Icom mic work to work with a non-Icom rig. I bought an Icom SM-10 a long time ago and tried to get it to work with my Kenwood TS-430, and had nothing but trouble. (I eventually got to the point where I the mic had power and the PTT and lock buttons worked, but the audio was mediocre at best. I also had lots of problems with RF feedback.)

The Kenwood TS-850 is a great radio, but the choice of a mic for it depends a little on what you're aiming for. Do you want to operate SSB or AM? Do you want it to be loud like a CB, or do you want high fidelity?

If you want CB-style loud, the tried and true D-104 lollipop mic will work on Kenwood rigs just fine. You'll want one that has a pre-amp circuit in the base though -- without the pre-amp, the D-104 impedance is way to high for a typical solid state rig. I have a D-104 with a TUG9 stand that I wired up with an 8-pic plug for Kenwood rigs, and it works with both my TS-430 and TS-850.

If you plan to go this route though, there are a couple of caveats:

- The amplified D-104 mics use a 9 volt battery to power the pre-amp circuit. Some people notice that the radio already provides +8v DC on one of the mic pins, and think: "Hey! I can just connect the +8v line to one of the unused wires in the mic cable and power the mic that way; then I won't need to buy 9 volt batteries anymore!" I used to think that too. Don't do it with the 850. With my TUG9 stand, the negative power supply line (black wire to the battery) and audio ground are connected together. In order to power the mic amp from the radio, the black and red wires will need to be connected to +8v and GND on the Kenwood mic plug. This will have the effect of connecting the GND pin to the audio shield pin (mic ground), creating a ground loop. When I did this, I ended up with a noticeable 60Hz hum in my audio. Putting the battery back the way it was fixed it. Long story short: don't try to get too fancy, just use the mic as-is.

- The pre-amp in most D-104 lollipop has way more gain than you will ever need with the TS-850, and you can end up over-modulating very easily. Be prepared to turn the gain control on the mic way down, and experiment a bit to find a good setting for both the mic's gain control and the mic gain control on the front panel of the 850.

- The VOX feature won't work. With the amplified stands, you need to key the mic in order to turn on the internal pre-amp. Until you do that you won't have any audio. (This is to help extend the battery life.) This means you can't just set the mic down with the VOX on and talk into it.

If you're interested in achieving the best fidelity that you can with the TS-850, then the choice usually comes down to one of the Heil mics, or a professional studio mic. Both will offer you good frequency response. Exactly which is better depends on your opinion. The Heil mics have the advantage of being designed for amateur radio use, and you can order it with whatever cable you need to connect it to your rig. Some people prefer studio mics so that they can hook them to audio processing gear (equalizers, compressors) to tailor their sound.

I use a Behringer B1 with my TS-850. It costs about $100, andit's a condenser microphone, which requires +48v phantom power to operate. I have a small Behringer Xenyx 502 mixer for that. I also use an equalizer and compressor. The latter two components both cost about $79 each, and the mixer was about $40. That's actually fairly cheap. (If I had it to do over again, I think I would go for the Behringer Ultracurve Pro DEQ2496. It's $300, but it combines pretty much all the things I have now into one unit, and the EQ is digital.)

If you really want to get the best possible AM hi-fi audio out of your TS-850 though, you'll probably need to make a few modifications to it. You can dramatically improve the low and high end frequency response with some fairly simple changes. I made a small write-up of what I did to my rig here:

http://people.freebsd.org/~wpaul/ts-850/850.html

(This page also has links to the owner's manual and service manual.)

If you've used the radio on AM at all, one thing you may have noticed is that factory-set ALC calibration is very fascist. You may have noticed a lot of "backwards swing," even with the carrier set at a conservative level. This behavior is common to a lot of solid state HF rigs. The link above tells you how to adjust the ALC to overcome this, however it should be noted that even with this change you'll get the best results only if you keep the carrier down to 25 watts or less. The TS-850 is designed for 100 watts of output, and the rule of thumb is that the amount of power produced on a modulation peak with AM is four times the carrier power. The owner's manual recommends a 40 watt AM carrier, but that would require 160 watts of power at modulation peaks, which is beyond the radio's design limits. The result is that with too high a carrier, you'll end up flattening out your positive modulation peaks, which will lead to distortion and splatter.

A few important notes about the TS-850:

- Check your serial number. If it's in the 20 to 30 million range, you will almost certainly need to replace the electrolytic capacitors on the carrier board. Kenwood ended up with a lot of defective caps from one of its suppliers and used them during the first couple years of production of the TS-850. The defective caps will leak, as in the electrolyte will leak out of them. This damages the capacitors, as well as possibly damaging traces on the carrier board. Luckily, replacing the caps and bridging the damaged traces with wire is fairly easy.

- Also on the carrier board are four direct digital synthesis (DDS) chips, with a part number of either YM6631 or YM66312. The 6631 parts were allegedly very fragile and prone to failure. The 66312 parts are functionally equivalent, but more robust. (if you have the 66312 chips in your radio, you can ignore the rest of this part.) These chips were custom made by Kenwood and replacements are no longer available. If you have the 6631 part, and the older caps, replace the caps ASAP! Some people have said that all 6631 parts are certain to eventually fail, but I think the failures are triggered by the bad capacitors. If your radio has the older chip and is still working, just be sure to replace the capacitors on the carrier board (assuming the previous owner didn't do it already).

- A couple weeks after I got my radio, the receiver failed. In particular, the receiver was dead quiet in all modes, except for FM. This is a sign that Q15 on the IF unit has died. This is a common problem for the TS-850. Q15 is a 3SK131 JFET. The original part from NEC is out of production, though you can still get it from some suppliers if you hunt. I used a BF998 as a replacement (available from DigiKey for about 50 cents each). Hopefully this'll never happen to your rig, but keep this in mind if it does.

- You might want to take the top cover off and check the battery (mounted to the digital unit right behind the front panel). If it's old and looks discolored, it may be leaking. If so, replace it ASAP.

I would recommend checking out the TS-850 repair page at:

850 Repair Page

It has info on these and many other issues about the TS-850.

-Bill

I perfer to learn from someone else's mistakes so thanks for all that great info you posted up Unit 248. I printed it off so I can check it all out when I have the time. I think I'm going to look around for a MC-60 mic. All the eq and prossesors and stuff might come along some day but for now just a good quality sounding desk mic is all I'm shooting for. I might wire up a D104 and give it a try as I have one of those around also but this was mainly for SSB operations is what I was wanting.

Thanks again...

If you don't want to buy the MC-60A new, I would recommend looking at the classified ads at qth.com:

QTH.COM Ham Radio Classified Ads - Swap amateur radio HF VHF equipment buy sell trade on line

The used price is often around $100, sometimes less. I'm not affiliated with qth.com, I'm just satisfied user. (I've purchased several accessories for my TS-850 from there, and all transactions have always been smooth.)

One other piece of info: at least in my shack, the only time I had trouble with the MC-60A was on 40 meters. For some reason, it was very prone to RF feedback when operating on that band, especially if I was touching the microphone while transmitting. I had no issues with it on any other band. Your mileage may vary. (If you don't operate on 40 meters, then nevermind. :)

If you have a D-104 already, it should be easy enough to give it a try. I think you can still get 8-pin mic connectors at Radio Shack. If not, you can easily find them online. You should need to connect just 4 wires: audio (white), audio ground (shield), PTT and PTT ground. The +8v DC and frequency up/down control pins in the Kenwood won't be used.

Once you get the mic wired up, I suggest you plug a pair of headphones into the TS-850, find a quiet frequency, set the rig for SSB and turn on the monitor. I would start with the gain control on the D-104 turned all the way down, and the mic gain control on the radio set at about 9 o'clock (about a quarter of the way open), then bring the gain on the D-104 up gradually while talking into the mic and listening to yourself until you get a sound you're happy with. You should be able to get it to sound crisp without being raspy or overdriven.

Set the meter on the radio that you can see output power and ALC action. You'll want the mic gain and ALC (power) control set so that the ALC reading does not go past the red area while output power should peak at around 100 watts. I recommend turning the radio's speech processor off -- with the pre-amp in the D-104, you don't really need it.

The TS-850 sounds best on SSB if you use it in conjunction with the optional DSP-100 unit. Unfortunately, the DSP-100 is *very* hard to find. (If you ever get a shot at one, I recommend you jump on it.) Even without the DSP-100, the radio can still sound top notch on SSB, and receiver is hard to beat.

-Bill

Wow Bill, I did some reading on the post you sent and the links. I appreciate all the info I think I'd do the mods that you did on your link. That sounds like a good way to start. I don't have the DSP-100 but will keep my eyes open for one. I was thinking about the better mic and preamp but I don't know enough to make a decision on it being the way to go. I think I need to do something about an antenna first before I spend a lot on anything else. I'm running a wire right now. Its working but I know I should be able to do better.

I might be sending you a few PM's Bill and ask a little more detail about the audio mods and such if you don't mind. I'm a beginner when it comes to the HAM side of radio but I've been playing with CB for a while so I have a little knowledge. Enough to get me in trouble.

Anyway, Thanks again for the info and hope to pick your brain about it some more.

Now if anyone else has anything to add I listening!

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.