• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Kenwood Mic For Galaxy DX-959?

You can use them with most modern cb's that receive without the mic,
mc60a amplifier does not have much gain, output is low compared to other amplified mics.

You can use them with most modern cb's that receive without the mic,
mc60a amplifier does not have much gain, output is low compared to other amplified mics.

But I hear that it has great sounding audio. I don't know whether that is true or not, but great audio is what I'm looking for. The price for one is pretty reasonable too. :unsure:

'Great audio' can mean different things to different people. In most cases, it will involve modding the radio ('Goldfinger's audio mods'), proper alignment of the radio, and then audio gear (mic, mic preamp, isolation xformer, footswitch, compressor, EQ, etc) that runs from moderately inexpensive to crazy.

sound quality is subjective, peoples ears are wired differently, what is music to some ears is worse than a squealing wheel bearing to others,

i like the sound of the mc60a on pre dsp kenwoods & my jrc, sound nice on a president jackson they don't have as much bass as the mc80/85 & the mic amp lacks the gain to be sat at arms length sounding loud n proud,

mc60a can be prone to hum & rfi, the stock kenwood leads are poorly shielded & the mic base that houses the amplifier is not grounded,

i make a shielded lead using 8 core + drain & clamp the drain wire under the plug cable clamps so all wires are shielded and the mic base is grounded to the radio chassis shielding the amplifier circuit, cures humming & most rfi issues.

Reactions: riverrat373
'Great audio' can mean different things to different people. In most cases, it will involve modding the radio ('Goldfinger's audio mods'), proper alignment of the radio, and then audio gear (mic, mic preamp, isolation xformer, footswitch, compressor, EQ, etc) that runs from moderately inexpensive to crazy.
This is the truth!

I was under the impression that M60 and M80 have rfi issues that induce hum and such. I have not researched these in better than 10 years but I thought almost all amateur hated these for that reason which is why they can be found very cheaply. It has been a while though do your own research.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.