• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Kenwood TH-27A: worth resurrecting?

TMI

W9WDX Amateur Radio Club Member
May 6, 2009
My brother was given a Kenwood TH-27A that is not working, and I got my hands on it yesterday.

Setting it to the same frequency as my Yaesu VX-8R, in simplex, it would not receive or transmit. We get no sound from the Kenwood, even with the squelch turned off.

I reset the VFO and the memory registers per the manual, but that did not change any behavior. Also turned off paging, tone, etc. per the manual.

I'm thinking for the price of a new single or dual-band unit, it probably isn't worth pursuing a fix for the Kenwood, but would appreciate feedback from forum members, as you likely have far more experience than do I in these things (y)

Tom

The last one of those radios I saw for sale went for around $40. I'd say it's probably not worth fixing unless you determine it's something really obvious. You'll probably pay more to get it fixed than it's worth.

Thanks M. Found a Kenwood service center that asks for $35 up front to evaluate the problem, and if the owner agrees to the repair, that eval cost gets applied to the $75/hour flat rate for the repair.

So: I'm thinking it would be very easy to exceed the market value of a working unit.

I appreciate the feedback (y)

Tom

would be fun to tinker with though, especially if you got it working yourself...

TMI,
I just went through the same process with my XYLs TH-27A, in so far as sending it to the Kenwood Service Center East. They returned it today, NOT repaired! I had to pay only shipping and handling.
Last week, I changed batteries in this unit, during a "Skywarn Event" (floods, etc.) and the second battery made the radio smoke! I opened it up to find the small voltage controller circuit board fried.
The radio was working at the time of the failure, meaning I thought Kenwood could fix it!
So I'm writing to ask if you still have your TH-27A... would you want to part with it? I'm sure your radio has a good voltage regulator board in it and my XYL could stay on the air if I could change out boards from your unit.
Comments Please!
Ron - N3BXL
/EX

I'm having the same problem with my TH-27A.... It worked great for years then I put it in the closet for several years. I pulled it out and charged the battery and the display was wacked. I did the VFO and memory resets which brought back all of the functionality to the radio EXCEPT it won't RX or TX regardless of squelch. All DTSS, CTCSS, tones etc are off (by default upon reset).

I can't figure out why the radio won't RX or TX at all. I heard years ago there's a lithium Ion battery in it that needs to be replaced. Would this be the cause?

I know the radio isn't worth paying to fix.....but it was my first HT so would be cool to have it working again.

Any ideas?

TH-27A

I have a TH-27A that I recently pulled out of the drawer. Charged up the battery etc...and turned it on. No sound! The freq. meter works etc...just no sound. This happened to me several years ago and someone sent me instructions for unlocking it. Now, I have to search for them to hopefully get it going again. If anyone has any info...on the unlocking process, I would appreciate it...

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.