• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Kenwood TH-D72 No show on APRS.fi

simonnett

Jan 28, 2011
Northampton, UK
www.stphotography.org
I purchased a new D72 last week and have setup APRS with my callsign and Home location etc.

It has been on Auto to transmit my callsign every 5 mins but I am not appearing on APRS.fi.

I do have an App on my iPad that works but I purchased the D72 to go with me in the car and show where I am etc.

It Receives info from other people showing their details and location but why am I not showing on APRS.fi?

I can receive stuff ok so assume I am ok on signal etc?

That's not the way it works. The digipeater is probably running more power than you (like 25 watts) with a much bigger antenna than on a handheld. So, you wouldn't have any problem receiving it. However, you might not be making the trip back there when you transmit, which is probably what is happening.

Look up your location on aprs.fi and find the local digipeater. Drive over near it's location and try beaconing. IF it it hears you, it will digipeat it back immediately and you will see that on your HT. I'm assuming, of course, that you have set up the radio properly with your callsign, beacon info, etc.

That's not the way it works. The digipeater is probably running more power than you (like 25 watts) with a much bigger antenna than on a handheld. So, you wouldn't have any problem receiving it. However, you might not be making the trip back there when you transmit, which is probably what is happening.

Look up your location on aprs.fi and find the local digipeater. Drive over near it's location and try beaconing. IF it it hears you, it will digipeat it back immediately and you will see that on your HT. I'm assuming, of course, that you have set up the radio properly with your callsign, beacon info, etc.

I need help to understand the aprs.fi screen. Can you or somebody please tell me where my local digipeater is and I am in Northampton, UK? There is a d-star one nearby but I think that's no good for my APRS signal!

When I know where the local digipeater is to me then I WILL drive there asap to find out etc.

Simon, M3 FLP, Northampton, UK

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.