• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Kenwood TM-261 xmit noise in hi-power mode

Tom Line

Oct 15, 2021
My Kenwood TM-261 starting acting up in my usual high power transmit mode last night. I could hear static come from the speaker while transmitting, and it sounded like a digital mode signal to those who heard me transmit. I lowered the power to medium and low, and the problem seems gone, but is intermittent if I power it all the way up. Checked my antenna and connectors just in case. All good. Fine SWR.

Opened it, and see no obvious issues. All looks new. It has a big brick of an output chip. Anything come to mind? Might be time to get a new icom 2300 considering costs involved etc.

Tom
KE8MVY

I have an Icom IC-2000 that I have had for 28 years and it has never given a problem or ever been opened up. If the 2300 is anything like my 2000-GO FOR IT!

David

I'll tell you, those IC-2000H are great radios. The receiver is pretty much immune to intermod. When I bought mine a couple decades ago the dealer told me that in the aftermath of the Oklahoma City bombing in 1995 several agencies were using modified IC-2000H's for open VHF comms. There were so many VHF'UHF transmitters in that vicinity, the intermod was crazy. IIRC the IC-2000 has a tracking frontend filter that allows it to cover a wide freq range yet not suffer from intermod problems like most do. Up here in the city there was a site that had over 150 VHF/UHF transmitters on it including high power paging systems on 149.77 MHz. All the hams would complain that their radios were useless in that area. Well that is except those of us that had the IC-2000's. :D I'll probably never get rid of mine even though I now have a TM-V71A dual bander.

Reactions: NZ8N

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated