• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Kenwood TM-V71A MARS Mod mode 1

thercman

Feb 9, 2012
I am curious if anyone has accomplished this mod or not and how it worked out for you. According to the instructions it allows for expanded receive and High output transmit power (whatever that amount to) but does not open up those frequencies for transmitting. This seems as though it would be ideal. I would love to be able to listen in.

(y)

Expanded Transmit Modification for TM-V71A

To open the transmit on this radio, you have two options for the frequency range you want to open up. For either option, start by opening the radio:

Place the radio on the bench with the speaker side up and the front of the radio facing toward you.

Remove the 8 screws that hold the top cover on the radio.

Look in the lower left hand corner (closest to the control head on the left hand side of the radio).

Notice a green wire labeled "W601" and two chip resistors labeled "1" and "2".

Here are your two options:

option 1) For transmit between 142-151.995 and 420-449.995 remove green wire W601. Either unsolder to remove the wire, or cut it and tape it to prevent the wire from touch anything else inside the radio.

option 2) For transmit between 136-174 and 400-470 MHz remove W601 as above. Also remove the 0 ohm resistor labeled "1" which is just in front of W601.

Reassemble the radio.

Perform a reset.

And that's it! Enjoy!

Look in the lower left hand corner (closest to the control head on the left hand side of the radio).

option 1) For transmit between 142-151.995 and 420-449.995 remove green wire W601. Either unsolder to remove the wire, or cut it and tape it to prevent the wire from touch anything else inside the radio.

option 2) For transmit between 136-174 and 400-470 MHz remove W601 as above. Also remove the 0 ohm resistor labeled "1" which is just in front of W601.

Anyone happen to have a pic showing the location of the resistor?

You don't have to do anything to listen to out of band frequencies. If you want to transmit out of band, that's a different story and what those 'mods' are for. The German 'mod' site has pictures and the same instructions as already given.
- 'Doc

TX access to 220

I would like to modify my TM-V71 to TX on three bands, Ham VHF, Ham 220 & Ham 440. I want to add the 220 band. Are their any mods to do this?
Thanks
Morris

I just recently acquired one of these radios and did the mod as described. So far it works good.

As for resistor removal, I used a regular soldering iron, and made sure it was hot and the tip was sharp and with the iron in one hand a pair of tweezers in the other, I heated the resistor just enough to melt the solder, then pulled up on the resistor with the tweezers.

(y)

Expanded Transmit Modification for TM-V71A

To open the transmit on this radio, you have two options for the frequency range you want to open up. For either option, start by opening the radio:

Place the radio on the bench with the speaker side up and the front of the radio facing toward you.

Remove the 8 screws that hold the top cover on the radio.

Reassemble the radio.

Perform a reset.

And that's it! Enjoy!
Hi is it the same to do on the kenwood TM V71E
many thanks
kev

Awesome! Thanks!

What about receive from 1.??? - 29MHz?
I am curious if anyone has accomplished this mod or not and how it worked out for you. According to the instructions it allows for expanded receive and High output transmit power (whatever that amount to) but does not open up those frequencies for transmitting. This seems as though it would be ideal. I would love to be able to listen in.
Yes, I have done it 3 times and it worked and works now on all 3 of my TM-V71. I can pretty much hear anything over the air waves except cellular. You just look up the freqs of who you want to listen to and then dial it right in - it's great.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated