• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Kenwood TM-V71A programming cable help!

Crash Ash

W9WDX Amateur Radio Club Member
Sep 24, 2011
El Segundo, CA
First off, Happy New Year.

I bought a programing cable on EBay for my Kenwood TM-V71A. It's the USB port to the 9 pin connector type. Downloaded the software drivers from the seller and the computer says it is installed and working correctly. The MCP-2A software see's the com port and I match the baud rate but when I try to read the radio's config. it wont respond to the call. Keeps telling me to check the connection and com setting. Is there something wrong with the radio settings or maybe my computer or is the cable a piece of sh*t.

This thing is driving me bonkers. A friend said that the cable won't work with MCP-2A software, if so then I will flame the seller.

Any help?

Thanks

KJ6SBX

In the software setup for the comport, try the 'AUTO' speed setting. That's the only choice I see that you have. If that doesn't do it, and if you are sure that the computer's port settings are correct (check them through the device manager), then I'd have to suspect the cable is the problem. If so, then before I started any 'flaming' I think I'd ask for a resolution to the problem, you know?
Good luck.
- 'Doc

PS - That's odd. If the connectors fit where they are supposed to then the cable is typically usable, it's a standard sort of cable.

The cable and com port show it's working. I have tried the auto setting also and no results. I even tried it in other com ports and still nothing. I did send a message to the seller and will wait to hear back from him first. I also bought a cable for my Yaesu 897d and that cable works fine with it and Ham Radio Deluxe.

Does anyone know of any other free software for controlling the Kenwood TM-V71A that is around? I have looked but have not found any.

Every radio/software combo has its quirks. Does the radio have to be in the clone mode? Another I have run into is "radio in a memory mode instead of VFO mode".

Some USB drivers and operating systems just don't seem to get along.

Good Luck,
Mike

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.