• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Kenwood TM-V71A

No worries! I love my V71A and love sharing it's virtues with others! :)

You might already know this one, but when I'm listening to something real critical coming in, or for whatever reason I don't want to deal with two transmissions coming in at once, press once (only needed if not already PTT selected) and hold down the channel selector you want to "keep" and it'll close out the opposite side and turn the rig into a single receiver. Repeat to go back to dual-receive, no need to reset volume or anything.

:)

Thanks buickid... one of these days I'll actually read the manual! :LOL:

Brett

I want one and plan to get one soon. But one thing I read was you have to buy the relocation kit separate and it's $$$ whereas the Yaesu includes them with the radio. :glare:

Love the 710 (Basically 71A with TNC). I have the head mounted on top of the dash, the radio under the seat, and the mic on clip next to the seat. Was able to do all that with the existing cabling. Have a Green Light Labs GPS module for APRS on the A-Side of the radio. The B-side has extended receive and can 'hear' a lot more than the ham bands. It has Skycommand, which lets me remote control and talk HF through my TS-2000 using 2m and 70cm from the car.

Les, W9LRT

Couple pictures:

d710-1.jpg

d710-2.jpg

Reactions: 1 person
Love the 710 (Basically 71A with TNC). I have the head mounted on top of the dash, the radio under the seat, and the mic on clip next to the seat. Was able to do all that with the existing cabling. Have a Green Light Labs GPS module for APRS on the A-Side of the radio. The B-side has extended receive and can 'hear' a lot more than the ham bands. It has Skycommand, which lets me remote control and talk HF through my TS-2000 using 2m and 70cm from the car.

Les, W9LRT

Couple pictures:

d710-1.jpg

d710-2.jpg

Nice install, curious what kind of car that is ?

Sent from my SCH-I605

Sorry for the delay in getting back in here. It is a Prius (2007) with 180k miles on it. Finally had to put brakes on it a couple months ago. Been a great car.

As for the radio install, ran 8 gauge power cables from the battery (through a fuse) to distribution blocks under the drivers seat next to the radio. Disconnected the center channel speaker and connected to the Kenwood. All wires drop through the dash by the speaker grill. Pretty much all wiring is hidden.

Les ---

Reactions: 2RT307
I just picked one up a few days ago, put it in my 'shack' (called a computer room nowadays). First base rig of any configuration for me. I really don't know how other rigs are supposed to handle and program, but IMHO this one is a breeze (using RT Systems). I haven't run into any problems that I needed to call someone for, and with it being a well-established radio, it was a quick Google search to fine the answer to one problem I couldn't resolve. (OK, this would have resulted in a call, but more than likely I would have fumbled around until I found the answer. :whistle:)

When I went to look for a rig, I asked on a local repeater during a net (was using a handheld) if folks had one and about 70% of the folks were either using one or had one being used somewhere. I figured I couldn't go wrong.

I been wanting to buy one but was wondering if I could use this with my ht (Baofeng uv-5r) for the cross band repeater and full duplex.
Hey W5LZ how about a picture of the custom sunshade you made for it?

Last edited:
I been wanting to buy one but was wondering if I could use this with my ht (Baofeng uv-5r) for the cross band repeater and full duplex.
Hey W5LZ how about a picture of the custom sunshade you made for it?

It sure can. I haven't done it yet. IIRC, this guy's video used to feature the UV-5R to do the remote functions. He's using a different HT now, but the same functions apply:

Brett

Reactions: Mongoose
So would this be a good rig to start with being I am a beginner or should I go with a 2m only rig and if the 2m only what would be a good one? I am sorta overwhelmed with all the different rigs out there, my MAX budget now is $300.

Last edited:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.