• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Kenwood TM-V7A Rubber Bands Broken - Help!

cannongeorge

Feb 26, 2013
I like my TM-V7A; but of late the menu keys on each side of the face glass (2 on each side) became "sticky" and non-functioning. I opened up the head and discovered the "RUBBER BANDS" :)thumbdown:) used on each side for providing key response are no good, I am sure So. Cal. smog hasn't helped. I have no idea how these things were originally assembled - inside the faceplate at the top there are hooks on each side to anchor one end of the rubber band but no obvious tie-down point for the other end. The rubber band is partially covered with a small plastic cover, also cracking and falling apart. There is a "lip" on each of the pushbuttons where it appears the rubber band would provide the tension to hold the button in a raised position until depressed.

HELP! Does anyone know how the rubber bands are supposed to be threaded/installed? Or can anyone reccomend a repair depo that actually has experience in repairing these? (I am still waiting for a response from Kenwood proper).

Thanks in advance if anyone can help me!

Rubber Bands - More Info

I found a copy of the service manual - apparently the rubber bands (if I am deciphering everything correctly) are supposed to be encased in semi-rigid plastic sleeves/covers, which would hold everything in place- and provide the "spring" action for the front panel pushbuttons. All makes sense except mine have cracked to pieces allowing the rubber bands to fall out like spaghetti! If I can't get parts from Kenwood (and they may not support this model anymore?) then the repair is going to be (for me, anyway) an Excedrin headache; my fingers are too big and eyes too small for this stuff. If I am lucky a modeling store might have some plastic square tube stock that I can possibly use.......

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated