• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Kenwood ts 2000 / Astron RM 35 power supply gets hot

whitedove

Feb 21, 2012
central fl.
A Kenwood TS 2000 hooked up to an Astron RM 35 power supply. Now on the Kenwood TS 2000 the fan cycles even in the receive mode. Because the fan runs all the time would this draw amps on the power supply causing it to run hot or is there a problem with the power supply?

I would suspect that it would be a problem with the power supply. While that cooling fan does draw current, it really isn't drawing very much.
I would think that a 35 amp power supply should handle a TS-2000, but, since it's getting hot, it's fairly evident that it isn't capable of it for whatever reason. Are you powering something else from that power supply besides the TS-2000?
- 'Doc

Your PS has meters on it.

How much amperage is it drawing in receive and transmit?
How much voltage is it getting?
How much does the voltage drop when transmitting?
How long do you keep the radio transmitting?

In that case I can only think of a few things most likely to be the cause of the excessive heat: 1) One of the bridge rectifiers is open. Causing excessive ripple on C5 generating heat in C5. 2) Excessive leakage current thru the crowbar SCR. 3) Excessive leakage current in C5 or C101.
Another possibility is the transformers secondary winding shorted to the core.
I have encountered this defect before.
But would only be a problem if the equipment being powered were connected to the mains earth ground and the power supply still has its mains cord third prong intact. (this is assuming that the mains circuit is properly wired. )

#1 and #3 Could be non-apparent to user if odor of capacitor out-gassing is not recognized.
#2 and #3 Should indicate on the amp meter.
I would measure the mains draw and see if it is consistent with the apparent output wattage.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ AWP:
    Is it possible to be on a lake and have a homing directional beam being emitted from the shore so a person could navigate to that beam's source? For example at night to a jetty.
  • @ BJ radionut:
  • @ wavrider:
    sea que sea que,
    +1