• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Kenwood TS-2000 LED Upgrade

W1MSG

Now W1MSG
May 9, 2010
MA
I recently purchased a new Kenwood TS-2000 and wanted a different color and brighter display. I found that HamKitt has put together a nice little package that gives you everything you need to change the display over to a cool blue led display.

I ordered the kit on line and received it in about 4 days, the kit came with everything needed to preform the mod. You will need some basic tools and a decent soldering iron to accomplish the mod.

The kit had 8 LED's, 4 resistors, a small length of solder braid and a short length of solder. It also has some very detailed instructions with pictures. You get 2 extra LED's and 1 Extra resistor just in case.

I was a bit skeptical at first as I'm the guy they shouldn't sell soldering irons to, but I figured it couldn't be that bad.

Following the instructions made it pretty easy, the hardest part was removing the 3 surface mounted resistors from the back of the LCD display board. All of the soldering should be done with low temps as you are soldering on a board and you don't want to damage any traces or other items on the board. The new LED bulbs fit perfectly and were much easier to replace than the resistors. After I completed the MOD I put things back together to a point where I could check and ensure all the LED's were working and in fact I had two that didnt light up. I had missed a solder joint on one of the resistors, after I fixed that everything worked perfectly.

Unfortunately I didn't take any pictures of the radio disassembled but the end result is awesome !!
This MOD is not for the faint of heart as there is a lot of dis-assembly of the radio and some intricate soldering, but well worth the time investment.

TS2000Blue.JPG

Oh goody, goody, goody! Now that you have some experience at it, you can do mine when I get it??
I recently got a TM-v71A that has the 'blue' lights (as well as the amber) and find that it's much better to see during the day light hours, in the car. I would love to change the lights on a couple of other radios, but I'm VERY hesitant about that SMT soldering stuff. Practice some more, and I'll let you know when to expect my radio(s). ;)
- 'Doc

I have a friend that would like to do that to his TS-2000 but he wants to stick with the original color.

i use the diffused nichia 3mm whites.they are a milky white when off.
not all colors are available diffused so one can carefully sand them or do as i do use a spark plug cleaner to sandblast them.this smooths out those hotspots at the top.
Looks ugly with those white spots at the top of display.
You should use some kind of diffuser.
Mike

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.