• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Kenwood TS-2000 MARS/CAP Mod

Captain Kilowatt

Professional Amateur
Staff member
Apr 6, 2005
Nova Scotia,Canada
  1. Remove the top and bottom cover.
  2. Loosen the 4 screws that tighten the front panel.
  3. Pull the front panel forward, holding the upper part.
  4. You will see a fan on the left.
  5. At the bottom right of the fan, there are jumpers.

• Remove R52 to expand the RX frequency.
  • Remove R53 to expand the TX frequency.
  • Remove R54 to expand the features.
    (Cross-band Repeat, SkyCommand, External Remote and etc.)
R52 and R54 have been already removed on my transceiver.
After the modification, it transmits:
1.705 - 30MHz, 49-54MHz, 142-152MHz, 420-450MHz.

Oh, I forgot one important thing.
You must perform ALL RESET by pressing and hold [A=B] key when you turn on the transceiver. (You will lose all the memory data).

Attachments

• clip_image001.jpg
    clip_image001.jpg
    17.3 KB · Views: 2,142

Hello: I recently received a TS-2000 from Japan. I opened it up and made sure R52, R53 and R54 were removed. I performed the full reset, but the rig will not transmit above 146.0 MHz. Is there something else that needs to be done? Firmware update?

Hello: I recently received a TS-2000 from Japan. I opened it up and made sure R52, R53 and R54 were removed. I performed the full reset, but the rig will not transmit above 146.0 MHz. Is there something else that needs to be done? Firmware update?

Probably need a different radio. The 2m band in Japan and Europe is only 2 MHz wide from 144-146 MHz. You might get lucky with a firmware update but buying from Europe or Japan and expecting North American results usually results in disappointment. Same as for power output on some HF radios. In Japan some are only 10 or 50 watts, not 100 watts.

Anyone who uses a Kenwood TS-2000 has far more patience than I do.I Hated the menus in that radio so badly I was one day from putting it in a dumpster & taking the loss.I finally sold it to a local friend for just $550 & I now have an ICOM 9100 with Both Optional Roofing Filters & the D-STAR Board & it blows away the TS-2000 in every way & Best of all it's so Simple to operate without all of the stupid menu crap.The TS-2000 is DEAF on Every Band as well & it's been mentioned many times on many groups across the internet for years.I took a loss when I sold the TS-2000 but I became the real WINNER when I purchased the ICOM 9100 to go with my ICOM 7600.

SIX-SHOOTER
W4KVW
WRMX520

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.