• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

kenwood ts-480

rfoverlord

guardian of freedom
Jun 1, 2005
daegaba system
any one using one? pros / cons considering it or a ft-857 for the mobile looking for real world feedback. have time as it will be an under the christmas tree thing.

rfoverlord kenwoods ts-480sat or ts-480hx models both have great reviews here: www.eham.net/reviews/detail/3821. The difference between the two is the ts-480sat is a 100 watts version with antenna tuner,the 480hx has no antenna tuner but output power is 200 watts.Both radios cover HF thru 6 meter all mode,both provide DSP.
I have heard a few on the air and imho they sounded great,and i'm sure as with most kenwoods they have great RX. One thing i do find strange is the fact that the face plate does not attach to the main body.
As far as yaesu's ft-857 this rig cost quite a bit less than kenwoods 480 series.This rig produces 100 watts output and covers HF thru 70cm, giving you 2 more bands.DSP is included.
All 3 models are great radios and will provide years of service,it's time to do your homework to see which radio fits your needs best.I see that your planning to use as mobile so having built in antenna tuner might be a plus?Well good luck and keep us posted on what santa brings.
73,Stu

I was running a TS-480HX in the pickup, as of tonight it has been moved into the house for base use...

-My likes
1) 200 watts of power on SSB
2) Menu's are simple and well laid out in the manual
3) Remote head unit
4) Simple rig to use when not moving down the road
5) Hot receiver, its got good ears for sure

-My dislikes
1) Lots of buttons to play with when driving (ok thats just me not being able to leave it alone when I'm driving)
2) Hot receive picks up noise from my ultra noisy 05' F-150

*Overall its quite a package, it just picked up a high pitch whine from my ultra noisy F-150 (fuel pump maybe) not really the radios falt, but I'll like it much better in the house...73 Mike 8)

thanks for the replies so far guys. the other reason i was considering the 857 was the fact that it has the other bands, all mode. i already have a ft 8800 in the truck, but it would be nice to have just one in there. when i got to camp just pull it out along with a wire ant. a ldg tuner, ar270b ant, and i'm set. well see what santa brings though i guess i'll be greatful for what ever i unwrap. (i was asked about both since that is what iv'e been considering).

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.