• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Kenwood ts430s

Thanks Tony, i was thinking the same myself. I figue i would like them to give this classic rig a clean bill of health. These rigs have a long history of quality operation, and i hope that this holds true. I will be using it in the mobile with a screwdriver antenna. Would you guys have a recommendation on this as well?

It will be somewhat of a pain to retune for every band but it would probably be better than having multible antennae on the vehicle and hence less chance for reflect issues.

Look up KJ7U Larry....antenna wise...I like mine KW160-6

Mobile stick with stock hand Mic or a Heil HM-10(mini version of the GM-5) only single element not dual like the big brother GM-5
All the Best
BJ

Hi Gentelman,

I seem to have fixed the distortion problem. I checked the bias and found it was 1.29 amps. Readjusted it via the service manual to around 400 ma. and retested and got good reports.

I have a question tho,

It states that vr1 and vr2 be adjusted to minimum. The lowest I could set them to was 343 ma., I am not sure if their is a specific minimum? I have the total bias set to a little over 400 ma.

Also, still looking at the Fm problem. rechecked the jumpers and the are in their propper orientations. It has RX and TX but no audio. I wonder if the problem could be in the switching, and or a problem with a component on the FM board itself?

Thanks in advance.

Thanks Bj, I was thinking the same thing and i haven't tried it yet, I will go back over the service manual to see which adjustment it is.

Good call. And thanks again.

I think i may have gotten that wrong. If the lowest ma. reading i get is 343ma. then wiith a 200ma. increase for the driver transistors, and a 200ma. increase for the finals should bring the total to around 743ma. or so.

Would anyone agree with this?

I am also wondering about the 2sc2290 transistor final bias. I know from working with amplifiers of the same complement the bias should be around 100ma. for the pair of them. So I am wondering where the extra 100ma. is comming in at?

Perhaps this is due the the rig not being very efficient?

I am currently running the rig with the total bias set around 750. I am getting really good reports on it. Maybe I should leave well enough alone and move on to the FM board. I don't really know.

The distortion problem has been fixed. The bias was to low, plus the stock mic had a problem as well.

Now I need to find a FM board...........

I tried the deviation adjustment and it had no effect.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.