• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Key up box with switch

Mk121

Oct 28, 2015
Just wondering if any has ever made up a box with a on/off switch to keep a radio keyed up while doing testing? I'm thinking about trying to put together something so that when testing on the bench I can have both hands free instead of trying to hold the ptt. Thanks

If the radios you work on have all the same mic connections you could dedicate one mic as a troubleshooting mic and wire an external switch, like a foot switch, to the mic connector. You could wire a pigtail into the mic connector and then have a couple different kinds of switches that you can plug into the pigtail depending on your need at the moment.

You could get an old Turner desk mic that has a lock lever and use it too. How well this all works depends on how many different rigs with different mic connections you work on.

Last edited:
Yes and it is pretty simple.

Figure out the Mic wiring

Get a STDP (ON-ON).

Wire the ground to the center pin of the switch

Transmit Wire to one of the outside pins

Recieve to the last pin

Switch in one Position will be RX, flip the switch for TX

If you want to be real cool use a DPDT switch.
Wire the audio line to the same side as the TX Line
Feed the Positive side of Signal Generator audio to the center pin on the Audio side of the switch.

You can set the radio In TX mode and inject a 1kHz tone to the Mic audio to set modulation levels with an O'Scope...

Make it look like this:

Just a thought

Attachments

• IMG_20190518_164726561.jpg
    IMG_20190518_164726561.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 7
Thanks Bow that's exactly what I was looking for. I know there are ways to key up a mic without a keyer box such as a rubber band as someone suggested. But I wanted a separate switch, I don't know call me crazy I guess. Just have to find a little project box now.

Reactions: Bow
Yes and it is pretty simple.

Figure out the Mic wiring

Get a STDP (ON-ON).

Wire the ground to the center pin of the switch

Transmit Wire to one of the outside pins

Recieve to the last pin

Switch in one Position will be RX, flip the switch for TX

If you want to be real cool use a DPDT switch.
Wire the audio line to the same side as the TX Line
Feed the Positive side of Signal Generator audio to the center pin on the Audio side of the switch.

You can set the radio In TX mode and inject a 1kHz tone to the Mic audio to set modulation levels with an O'Scope...

Make it look like this:

Just a thought

This was going to be my suggestion as this is what I do. Simple and effective.

Reactions: Bow
Thanks Bow that's exactly what I was looking for. I know there are ways to key up a mic without a keyer box such as a rubber band as someone suggested. But I wanted a separate switch, I don't know call me crazy I guess. Just have to find a little project box now.

Here you go..

Everyone likes pictures...

No Colors, but pictures are good

Attachments

• BME Audio Test Box.jpg
    BME Audio Test Box.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 13

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated