• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Key Up 'pop'

iceman78

Feb 15, 2009
I have been playing around with this Cobra 29 Night Hawk. It was something I picked up at the flea market for $5 so it was a little project and learning experience.

Anyhow I got it working and tuned up but I notice that when I key up I hear a little whistle/pop noise. Others stations receiving me have heard it as well. I'm not prepared to say it's a Browning Ping but something perhaps similar.

So I was wondering if anyone has experienced this or have any idea what's causing this and how I can eliminate it. Thanks

When a flea market hands you a lemon, make lemonade. Advertise it as a "special feature". You'll get $200 for it on ebay

When a flea market hands you a lemon, make lemonade. Advertise it as a "special feature". You'll get $200 for it on ebay

Never heard of a Cobra Night Hawk but here goes.

Up for bid is an extremely rare Cobra 29 Night Hawk with a factory key up noise!!! This is a one of a kind and once it's gone...it's gone, so bid accordingly. This is a collectable and comes with it's own serial number on the back of the unit. These radios without the unique "pop" sell at CB shops for upwards of $200 as I was told. This is the Yenko Camaro of CB radios.
No returns due to the nature of electronic devices. Good Luck Bidding and all the proceeds will go to a disabled Iraq veteran.
Shipping will be free if the $250 Buy it Now option is used otherwise $20.

Last edited:
Never heard of a Cobra Night Hawk but here goes.

Up for bid is an extremely rare Cobra 29 Night Hawk with a factory key up noise!!! This is a one of a kind and once it's gone...it's gone, so bid accordingly. This is a collectable and comes with it's own serial number on the back of the unit. These radios without the unique "pop" sell at CB shops for upwards of $200 as I was told. This is the Yenko Camaro of CB radios.
No returns due to the nature of electronic devices. Good Luck Bidding and all the proceeds will go to a disabled Iraq veteran.
Shipping will be free if the $250 Buy it Now option is used otherwise $20.

Man and I thought I was good at Gaying up an auction! I'm waiting on a shipment of supplies now so I can list it on on FeeBay. The Super Trucker Trifecta: Echo, TalkBack, & LED's

After that, that my order of Mosfets should arrive so I can take the gayness to the next level and cash in LOL!

I must say I do like the 'unique Night Hawk screech' Great marketing tool haha

Also helpful is proper use of verbage such as:

"Loud & Proud"
"Screamin' Audio"
"Step on some Mudduck throats with this Bad Boy"
"Get this here radio and git yrself outta da swamp"

Also helpful is proper use of verbage such as:

"Loud & Proud"
"Screamin' Audio"
"Step on some Mudduck throats with this Bad Boy"
"Get this here radio and git yrself outta da swamp"

The word "Classic" works great on Ebay.
"Classic 1974 Chevrolet Vega" was one auction I spotted a while ago.

Not sure; but there should be a cap in there that should eliminate that problem. Or - someone botched up a key-up beep. Perhaps a bad solder joint in the keying transistor circuit. Might look at all of these possibilities.

Perhaps Exithirteen has some tips and advice with this problem.

Not sure; but there should be a cap in there that should eliminate that problem. Or - someone botched up a key-up beep. Perhaps a bad solder joint in the keying transistor circuit. Might look at all of these possibilities.

Perhaps Exithirteen has some tips and advice with this problem.

Yea I originally thought a bad cap somewhere. There was/is no key up in there so I ruled that out.

Actually the best way to describe this sound is almost like drip of water coming from a leaky faucet.

A friend of mine bought a new Vega when they came. Started smoking soon after. He ran the crap out of it. Then the repo man came.

That's what happens when you make an engine block out of aluminum without sleeving the cylinders. Fortunately the manufacturers learned from that screw up.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.