• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

KL203 Amp

Wow that is way too much radio for that little amp. Even with the RF power turned down all the way on 2950 it should still be at least 4-5 watts unless a golden screwdriver has been inside of it.

A bone stock Cobra 29 will overdrive it. Like you already pointed out you forget one time and "pop".

For safety sake, I would not run anything smaller than a 2 transistor bjt amp behind a 2950. That is too close for comfort in my book but I am sure the cheap cost is what is attractive. When I was in High School the Deer Hunter 100 was popular and was $99 sometimes as low as $79 if you did a group buy. I think they normally had 1 MRF455 or 2SD1446.No one put one behind a 2950 though.

It is never good to have to turn down to make it work or the proverbial suicide switch.

I never got why people would by a powerful radio then stick a tiny amp behind it. It is always better to design a system from beginning to end with everything designed to work together.

Lester does a lot of those radio's where they have an 8 fet or 4 bjt amp built into the radio with a suicide switch so they can turn that amp off and run a smaller amp? Why?

After I swapped in the 13n10s and a new American made relay, the KL203 I have has been taking 7w and pumping out about 160w while remaining cool as a cucumber on AM. The original RM3 mosfets in that amp are garbage. Spend 10 bucks on 4 new fairchild 13n10s and a new relay and relax. I smoked holes in 2 of the RM3s with a bone stock 980SSB in less than 15 seconds of modulated yakking.

i have one i never used i have lots of amps i have never hooked up. i have a nos klv 350 tube amp never even plugged it in. yes it runs on 110 volts just plug it in.

Reactions: undertaker

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.