• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

KL503HD with Anytone AT-5555N II

TimmyTheTorch

Dec 11, 2022
Northeast Wisconsin
Is anyone here using an Anytone AT-5555N II together with an RM Italy KL503HD? If so, are you able to use the PWR knob on the radio to turn down the RF power on the radio so you're not overdriving the amp on either AM or SSB?

In theory you can turn down the power and match it but all it takes is one time forgetting..... Puff the magic smoke!

The radio is too much powa for that box!

I have about the same situation now with my President Lincoln II V4 generating 35 watts PEP on AM and the KL300P amp only rated for 1-5 watts, meaning I have to always be aware of what I am doing power-level wise.

I looked at getting a K-Po DX-5000 instead of the AT-5555N II but I just really like the Anytone better. Looks like I'll just have to do my best to remember power levels (like I have to do now) and hope for the best.

Can you not pop the tins off and turn down the low power and high power pots?

I just ask because in the 1990's I tuned set my RCI2950 up so with the RF power all the way up it would not over drive my amps and with the power turned all the way down it would still latch my relay in AM and SSB. The amp was always on.

99% of the time I ran the radio with the RF PWR set to 12 O'Clock and let the radio swing.

In this way I could never mess anything up it was idiot proof. I was driving a 1986 Toyota 4Runner and off roading weekly. I could not afford to bump a control or forget to turn something down or have a girl or lots of girls bump something and blow an amp!

Set things up the way you intend to use them and leave it alone and run it! No one would set up their car or truck so that you could only push the gas pedal 1/2 way down or the engine would blow up if you went past 1/2 throttle.

You either set up a radio and amp as a matched pair or your smoking a cigarettes' in a gun powder factory!

If you want to drive a 1x4 or a 2 transistor amp you do not put a 90w-180w radio in front of it! LOL Not rocket science!

I have not tried turning down something like a Stryker 955 to use a 2 transistor amp or a 667. That said my President Lincoln not the new one the original one has a MRF455 for it's final. It can be turned down to work with any amp that is more powerfult han it is internally not just at the rf pwr knob.

According to my .5 seconds of research on Google the AT-5555 has tuning pots to adjust high power setting and modulation etc..... Just turn things down or have a good shop match it to your amp!

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.